Thread: Problem with Spybot S&D

Angry Problem with Spybot S&D

I am not sure if this has been asked before but I looked around and couldn't find anything related to it.

The problem am having is with Spybot Search and Destroy 1.2. I have the settings set to automate everything, i.e. run on program startup and close if nothing is wrong.

Now that works fine, maybe even to fine. Spybot starts searching for errors then when it's done it closes.

So the problem is I can't get the setup window anymore where am allowed to change the settings. I need to change the settings cause I don't want it automated anymore.

I try uninstalling Spybot and then reinstalling it but that doesn't work. The same settings of the last install stays and I still can't get into the settings window.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Guidance....
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Can't you go to the program menu and click on "Spybot Search and Destroy (Default)" to bring it up and change settings??
    Mad Beaver

those kind of setting would be written to the registry - I've never used the automated features on S&D so I don't know if there is a way to turn them off. However if you uninstall S&D and then remove any entries in the registry that pertain to S&D, restart the computer and then reinstall S&D it should start from scratch and allow you to start things manually. Bit of a bother I know but unless any one knows a better way?

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Before reading further, WARNING: I do not allow just any Joe Shmoe to edit registry entries as the effects maybe disastrous. (You know who you are!!!!!)

....And now on to the regularly scheduled program. ....

After uninstalling Spybot, check the installation directory for any files that may have been missed. If nothing exists, check you windows directory for anything referring to Spybot. Then and only then open regedit and search your registry for entries. Delete them as you see fit.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

MadBeaver there's no such option as "Spybot Search and Destroy (Default)" in mine.

The options I have are:
    Spybot- Search & Destroy (advanced mode)
    Spybot-S&D(advanced mode)
    Spybot-S&D(easy mode)
    Uninstall Sybot-S&D

All of these do the same except for Uninstall of course.

Guidance...
    Cutty

lol...everybody beat me to it. There's a ton of keys in the registry for spybot. I didn't see any .cfg or .ini file.

My vote is with the registry edit.

Before reading further, WARNING: I do not allow just any Joe Shmoe to edit registry entries as the effects maybe disastrous. (You know who you are!!!!!)
    hmmm... well Korp is quite right and I should have added a warning about messing in the registry - I'm quite used to doing it so I sometimes forget that not everyone is.

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

KorpDeath I tried that too but after an uninstall the spybot registry entry is gone so it may have another registry entry under another name. I spend hours searching the registry for all kinds of different names but couldn't find anything that rang a bell.

Thanks...

Guidance...

hmmm... well Korp is quite right and I should have added a warning about messing in the registry - I'm quite used to doing it so I sometimes forget that not everyone is.
    Am quite comfortable with the registry Zonewalker so there's nothing to worry about. Been editing my registry manually for years now. Tried one of those automatic registry editors and it messed up my registry. From then I've always searched my registry by hand and get rid of what I didn't want there.

Guidance...
    Cutty

Did you perhaps upgrade from Spybot S&D 1.1? Here is a registry fix that might help remove all the registry keys: http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...ase/faq/faq027

I got this link in the Spybot FAQ.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

CXGJarrod I didn't do an upgrade but this looks like it may help. I will try it when I get off work and get back to you.

Thanks guys.

Guidance...

[edit]
    Hey CXGJarrod thanks for the link. The following on the page did the trick.

Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    The configuration file for Spybot is located in the folder the path indicates above. All I had to do was open the configuration.ini file and make the necessary changes and then save. That did the trick and now I can access the settings.

Thanks for everything guys.

Guidance...
    [/edit]
    Cutty