Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The post that started the revolution!

Very cool link phish, this is another excellent history book. Its not free but its well worth the coin. Just For Fun
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Thanks phish, that was quite an interesting story. I wonder why is Bill Gates bio on page 1337 of my history book, yet Linus is nowhere to be seen in the pages of great history?
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux

Thanks Phish - great link, very interesting

Banned
    there was a follow up post by the other guy in Europe telling Torvalds that he would fail him because of the monolithic kernel.
    From a technological standpoint Tannenbaum was very correct and this this a point that is still agreed upon by nearly all formally educated operating system designers today. (my former self included)
    However, if Linus had made a microkernel system it would not have been popular at all. The reason is because developing a microkernel system is far more complicated then developing a monolithic one. (Linus essentially did not have the technical where-with-all to develop one.) This means that a monolithic system can be contributed to by more people as essentially any programmer can develop a monolithic kernel and I think as evident by my other recent post on Linux kernel errors it is quite clear the level of people working on Linux.
    Also, building a microkernel OS by yourself would be a bit daunting as well, this is why very very few people know the individuals involved in the development of microkernel systems like NT, AIX, QNX, and OSX while Linus is near a household name. So despite my disdain for his work, my hat goes off to his marketing skills which is what has seperated him from virtually every other geek in a dorm.

catch

catch ... would be point me to some good doc's or tutorials about microkernels... that is if you are not still pissed about legacy free PC by M$ thread
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    So has anyone have an update on how his OS is doing?

Banned
    Attached is a PDF document about microkernels.

Also of interest may be the following:

My recent post on Linux kernel errors.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...323#post674323

My recent post on the security and assurance afforded by kernel verification, which the microkernel architecture makes feasible.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...983#post673983

Information on QNX's (a high assurance RTOS) microkernel.
    http://www.qnx.com/products/ps_rtosv4/#Microkernel

There are frequently complaints about microkernel speed, but this is more a result of people attempting to run UN*X on top of the microkernel and as you know, UN*X uses synchronous system calls, which is _not_ how the microkernl is designed to work. Microkernels should be used with asynchronous system calls in a just-in-time/event driven architecture. (as RTOSs require)
    It should also be noted clearly that all trusted operating systems use the microkernel architecture, this is covered in the kernel verification post, but it is such an important point that I felt the need to restate it here. That said I can unflinchingly state that for a general purpose operating system to be considered secure it _MUST_ employ the microkernel architecture.

catch

PS. etruscan lose the attitude, I'm sorry that actively ignorant people frusterate me.

thanx ... catch

there's no attitude ... i don't dislike M$ because of their products but because of their imperialistic behavior ... monopoly is simply not healthy ... no matter how good your product may be at this time ...
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Banned
    I couldn't agree more, that is why accurate information about Windows is so important. People are very poorly informed about operating systems and tend to fill these gaps in with wishful thinking and hearsay and then they can't explain why Windows does better so they blame it on Microsoft being evil rather than using objective data to make their own products better.
    Just because I argue that Windows is more secure or that integrated hardware is the future does not mean I am pro big business/monopolies I am however pro information, monopolies only exist in a framework of misinformation, and sadly most of that comes from the non-microsoft camp. So many lies and whatnot are made up, so many myths perpetuated that when real issues arise, they are largely dismissed. (remember the boy who cried wolf?)

catch

now, i feel like i understand you better. integrated hardware/legacy free hardware may be the future or better yet (as I like to say), the right thing to do but the the key is "legacy free hardware" not "legacy free Windows hardware". That's why WE must help Linux. It's the best contender yet to restore some balance. (I know, I know ... BSD... I love BSD but I'm also a realist) Maybe Linux needs ppl like you to help it grow and evolve. It's free. Catch, I guess what it comes down to is that I belive that the world is due for "economic re-distribution" !