Thread: Bios Update

Bios Update

Hi guys,

I have old laptop Toshiba Celeron 1100 Mhz and I've been trying to upgrade my Bios from current one (1.8 version) to 2.1 version and so far no luck.
    This is what I've done:
    1. Download Bios 2.1 version from Toshiba website to floppy disk
    2. I tryed this trick
    If you hold down the tilde key (to the left of the spacebar) and then power up the laptop, it will look for a BIOS upgrade disk in the floppy drive. If present, it will automatically upgrade the BIOS. (BIOS upgrade disks are avaiable from Toshiba's website.)
    source http://rooster.stanford.edu/~ben/toshiba/boot.php

And then this is what I've got from my screen :
    Ready for BIOS update. Place the BIOS update diskette in the drive, and press any key when ready to proceed.

The problem is when I press any key.....nothing happen...

Any idea??

Thanks in advance for your help

Annya
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Your not by any chanec still holding down a key are you?

edit:
    I know its a stupd question, but just thoguth i'd ask it.

You might also try what rapier suggested
    =

When you downloaded the BIOS update from Toshiba, did you download to the hard disk, then run the extraction to the floppy? Generally, when you download a BIOS it is in an image format that then is used to create the floppy.

Most of my experience is with Dell and other desktops, so this may be no help.

Elite Hacker
    I did a bios update not too long ago. I didn't have to hold do any keys at boot. I just put in the floppy and it booted to it and did the update. Did you download an image file and use something like rawrite to make a bootable floppy, or did it come with a .exe that makes the boot floppy for you?

Hi again,

I've just downloaded straight up from toshiba website..to floppy disk .mm and yes still come with 345.exe, I guess you guys right I have to make it to something like bootable floopy disk.
    How can I make that to bootable floopy disk? (BTW this laptop running windows xp prof)

Thanks

Elite Hacker
    if it's .exe just double click it. It should come up with a command prompt or something and have a formatted floppy in the drive then it will probably ask you which drive is your floppy drive or something like that. Just type a: and it should write the floppy.

I believe that when you run that 345.exe file it will prompt you to insert a blank floppy then it'll copy the files for you onto the floppy..

edit : oops I was beaten to the punch

All the bios upgrade I l've done came with either an image which I had to write to a floppy or compressed file which I had to decompress to a floppy.Then on dos mode run the exe file.

It coule be - may be :

1) image is not decompressed or

2)let go of tilde key and then click some other key

May be its slow to detect, it happened to once.

Dr_Evil