View Poll Results: Should Microsoft quit paying crackers to do this ****?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 25.00%
  • No

2 25.00%
  • Gore your so cool. I'm a girl and I want your ass.

4 50.00%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Integrated" Bullshit

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Wow, this is one of the most intelligent threads I have seen in quite some time (TheHorse13 smiles with approval).

The bottom line is that a case can be made for open and integrated systems based on requirements. For example, if I want to setup kiosks, more than likely I'm going to want to ghost images, thus, standardize hardware and minimize the physical size of the unit. An additional element is that you will have minimal costs educating your support staff in relation to deploying open systems. This is simply because with open systems, the chances of different hardware showing up in each unit (either upfront or over time) is very high. Having to teach helpdesk level 1 donkeys how to support a wide array of hardware is a daunting task (trust me).

Anyway, I can't see open systems drying up as long as techies and entusiasts are around. I know that at home all of my boxes are open (that is all I will buy) while at work, due to standards, etc. many are integrated systems. I know that I'm not alone here.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    (TheHorse13 smiles with approval)
    No you don't. You only do that when you see naked women.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Integrated boards have there place. They have brought down the over all price of a computer so most people can afford them, but you get what you pay for. These boards are great for the 75% of people out there that just use it to surf, email and do there homework. If you're going to be play graphic intence games or anything that may require more than a POS sound or vidio card you should build your own system or at least understand what the system your going to buy can and can't do!
    Mad Beaver

since i've been criticized for not posting "relevant" info ... just bitching ...

integration is a good thing, when i build a system for someone i always go w/ integrated nic 10/100. it's pretty unlikely that you will ever need to uprgrade nic at home. Not everyone needs Audigy either & on board sound chips are getting better and better. If you never plan on playing games intergrated video will suffice. all this will save you tons of money. of course, power users should have the choice to buy bare bone components....

anyway... i still stand by what i said ... gore, you are a senior member but still buying a PCI card and then realizing you have AGP is a rookie mistake...
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

GORE: when you open your case is the spot that you are trying to put your graphics card in a white slot or a brown one?? If it is white then you need to go purchase a PCI card, if its Brwon then you will want to go check out 2 different types of AGP cards, for some reason in the last couple years they have been making two different types of AGP cards, one of the cards can adapt to any AGP slot the other will not. so let me knwo and I can steer you towards a graphics card from there
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Originally posted here by Spyrus
    GORE: when you open your case is the spot that you are trying to put your graphics card in a white slot or a brown one??
    Holy ****....I wake up and check my thread and it's became huge! At least I got a reaction out of people. As for a rookie mistake, my specialty is in Operating Systems and setting up security, NOT hardware.

As for the above, lol man the free slot is brown, I may not be a hardware tech but I did RTFM for what I was supposed to do, lol. It would be a bit hypocritical of me to tell people to RTFM when they ask questions that are easy to answer if I didnt do it myself.

Ahhh Thehorse, smiling over my thread huh? Lol, I know how to get a reaction out of people and I know how to turn a simple bitch thread about integration into a long ass REAL disscussion.

As for the person who said something about my unbiased poll, it's MY poll and doesnt need to be fair. From all the posts this person made in this thread, I'd think you were bill gates. You love Windows, find a way to not update (Ohh a power user), and then you say integration is good?

I told the guy to open the case before I bought this machine, and the machine before it. It's not my P3 box, that ones doing fine and has a REAL video card in it, an Nvidia Riva TNT 2 with 16 MBs of memory and a Sound Blaster card in it. This is a Medion with a 2400 MHz Celeron and 256 in RAM. Integration isn't good, it's a rip off.

If you told those people "Oh yes, by the way, we are sticking in parts of hardware that arent even REAL to save you money when in actuallity it wont because the bitch video card uses YOUR RAM" I'm sure theyd thank you

And to whoever said "gore your a senior making a rookie mistake" Lick nuts man. Status on Antionline doesnt mean dick, there could be newbies here that know more than any of us. Status is just a count of how big a post whore you are anymore anyway.

I'm a top ten AP earner too, does that mean I'm smarter with everything and better than the newbies? No. It just means that when I actually post, people tend to like it for some reason. And in either case, I'm not a hardware guru, Im an OSs and security guy with a sence of humor.

And again, this problem would have never happened if they used actual parts in the box. This bullshit is exactly like "Winmodems". And we all know how nice those are right?

And again, this problem would have never happened if they used actual parts in the box. This bullshit is exactly like "Winmodems". And we all know how nice those are right?
    gore, don't get us started on "Winmodems". That bullshit we lead us right in M$ talk and you know how those go.

Oh by the way, "Winmodems" suck more than integration.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Originally posted here by cutty

gore, don't get us started on "Winmodems". That bullshit we lead us right in M$ talk and you know how those go.

Oh by the way, "Winmodems" suck more than integration.

Guidance...

I wasn't trying to like attack you or anything like that, so don't take it wrong, I'm not THAT big of a *****. But I totally agree with your thoughts on "Windmodems". But also I think they are the same thing because they are a hardware peice that uses your OS and your processor cycles instead of its own power just like win modems do.

And just like winmodems, Linux can use them but not as well. The reason I bought that card last night was so I could use Linux with 3d and play tux racer, and for Unreal Tournament. I have this PC hooked up to some regular speakers and a sub woofer so my neighboors can tell if I'm winning at Unreal Tournament or not. The sound works fine in Linux and so does the NIC, and if the NIC didnt work I had already bought an extra NIC the night I bought this PC, I spent like a thousand dollars in cash that night setting this up nice.

It's also hooked up to a 17 inch flat screen that I boughtt he same day that has a button for when your playing a game or when your watching a DVD that widens the screen and makes the picture more vivid. Im taking the PC and the card into the store today to let them look at it so I can get something that will work with it.

Also, I want to thank everyone in this thread for your opinions, even though some I did'nt agree with, I still say thanks for stating how you feel.

I have had a lot of problems with integrated hardware in the past. Mostly because of the driver support. I do have to say that at least you can shut most of that stuff off in the BIOS (At least on the systems that I have bought) and that is at least a good thing.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Yea CX, I went into BIOS and shuit it off but then when the brown slot on the MOBO was too small I had to redo it again. Oh well, at least today it wil be fixed and I can put Linux back on here.