View Poll Results: Should Microsoft quit paying crackers to do this ****?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 25.00%
  • No

2 25.00%
  • Gore your so cool. I'm a girl and I want your ass.

4 50.00%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Integrated" Bullshit

"Integrated" Bullshit

This is a complete rant about "Integrated" hardware componants. Most new PCs you buy right now, come with integrated sound cards, modems, Video Cards, and NICs......Where was I when they all decided that you cant ever upgrade because you dont need too? I bought an Nvidia E-GEFORCE 2 MX 400 Video card today with 64 MBs, I pop the case off and SUPRISE! The slot for graphics upgrades doesnt fit for the card. Its too small.

I'm kind of new to adding hardware outside of RAM so is this something I shouldv know wouldnt work? Or should companies that make PCs actually use REAL ****ing parts? How many fo you have had this problem?

If the damn Video card was REAL and not using MY RAM I wouldnt have had this problem to begin with. Linux can use the integrated Video Card and NIC but I cant use 3d with it, it says it is impossible.

I did buy an extra NIC because I knew THAT was integrated....Didnt think they did it to the Video Card too though

What are your thougths on this? I think its complete and total bullshit! Who the hell wants integrated parts? Excuse me I PAID FOR IT AND I WANT REAL PARTS.

The Recidivist

I feel your pain

I actually went through the same about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to have a dual monitor running with a tv-out to my tv because I don't have a DVD burner and wanted to watch my DVD's on the big screen so I go around to like 15 different mom and pop stores, find one, come home and pop open the case and *pow* theres no AGP slot and the vid card is intergrated. Now I know I should have noticed this b4 being as I have been in the case b4 but I didn't. That really pissed me off. I have the same problem as you with the 3d support. Also the intergrated vid card doesn't have True Color which means I can't play a lot of the game I want to. Which just teached me the same lesson I knew already. You want a good box? Build it yourself.

btw I don't feel like looking for the thread but there is another kinda relavent to this subject. Somethign about m$ and bios.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

well you get what you pay for..

when you choose to buy a motherboard.. it's best to get a good one.

for the most part.. you can turn off the integrated stuff in the bios and add cards in.
    but getting a mobo without an APG slot.. well.. that is sad indeed..

Guys you don't have any excuse for not knowing what's in your box and what your box can support.

I will agree. Integration sucks big time and I don't mess with it. An integrated sound card I can leave with but an integrated video card, no way.

Heads up, I believe there are some pci slot video cards out there that may work for you guys. Am assuming you have free pci slots. All video cards are not AGP but AGP are better. You should be able to get a nice pci video card out there that supports 3D rendering.

Again integration sucks big time.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

I think this is a lesson learned and it will benefit other people who read this thread and will take the time to do more research on a computer before buying it, I know I do granted it is a pain in the ass sometimes and time consuming but in the end it is worth the time spent doing it

Banned
    Who did you get to write your unbiased poll answers? The good people at FOX News?

Integrated components are a very good thing. Eventually the entire computer will be reduced to a single chip which will be _very_ nice. That is a ways off still for the consumer level, but in the meantime we get to enjoy advantages of both cheaper systems and cheaper development which leads to faster more functional systems at an increasingly accelerated rate. This unification/simplification of hardware lends itself to higher security/high availability systems as well.

As an additional point, just because your board has an embedded sound/video/nic doesn't mean you can't still run your own. The problem you had with your video card is a symptom of the fact that systems are historically not very integrated. that is different formats, you prolly needed and AGP card and you got a PCI one or vice versa. With an integrated video adapter, there is never the concern that it will not be compatible with your system board.

These days it can be a downright daunting task for the novice to determine if they need a pci/agp(2/4/8/*) adapter, sdram/rambus/ddr (what speed goes best with the bus?) what system board goes best with the cpu and the ram? what hard driver format ata/serial ata/scsi (god knows how many types of scsi there is) All of this will eventually be resolved with the long term development of the single component system, and in the meantime any simplicity and cost benefits are for the better considering the rate at which computers depreciate in value.

catch

I believe it is going to come to the point where if you want specific componets in the box you are going to have to build it yourself. Personally I think it is the best way to do it because teaches you more about the computer and you can take pride in showing off something that you built.

Integrated components are a very good thing. Eventually the entire computer will be reduced to a single chip which will be _very_ nice.
    catch IMHO that sounds like a laptop to me. We already have a laptop why do we need our desktop as small as a laptop?

The hold point of having a desktop is so that you can have a choice as to what you want in there. More money means power when it comes desktops. So why would I want to give that away. When a better INTEGRATED desktop comes out then my old INTEGRATED desktop is no good. I can't even update a sound card for the new technology. That's bullshit and a money making gimmick.

You talk about price but updating a video card will always be cheaper than updating an entire pc.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Banned
    catch IMHO that sounds like a laptop to me. We already have a laptop why do we need our desktop as small as a laptop?
    The dektop is a dying market, the only reason people still buy desktops is because for equal cost they can currently get more power. As desktop systems become more and more integrated the line between desktops and laptops will be blurred, systems will be cheaper and more powerful and everyone will win. The primary issues with laptops are other space factors like drive space and cooling.

Users wishing to still have custom systems will need to migrate inot the lowend server marketplace where custom solutions will be valued for a longer period than with desktops.

Eventually however you will buy a system that will be a single integrated board including chips for video/sound/nic/print each of these having their own dedicated cpu, additionally you will see an embedded chip containing the operating system itself, which will also have it's own cpu. Same with the driver controllers and then the system will have an general purpose cpu for user applications.

This is not only the most logical and cost/performance effect development path, but it is also the direction that hardware/software companies have been seeking to go for the last two decades.

Lastly Cutty... did you miss the part where I said that with these systems for now and for some time in the future you still have the option of using third party sound/video/etc cards if you so desire. So what is the problem?

catch

dude, i'm sorry but if you are already running linux ... you gotta know what's in your box in & out... come on
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe