View Poll Results: Should Microsoft quit paying crackers to do this ****?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 25.00%
  • No

2 25.00%
  • Gore your so cool. I'm a girl and I want your ass.

4 50.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Integrated" Bullshit

The most ready made computers from for example Dell or Acer have other hardware slots which are only compatible with the hardware of the manufacturer, and not with standardized hardware.
    I have added ATI display cards different harddrives and a dvd burner other nics and different ram and it all has worked fine. You just need to know how to update the bios on these dumb dells.

But you can upgrade them. Sometimes difficult but you can!

Well, I'm going to have to agree with the unappreciated side of this debate - Integration is a good thing, possibly one of the BEST things to happen to desktops...

The ONLY time it causes problems is when you don't plan ahead for what you want or may want that system to be used for.

If you're going to buy a system that may eventually become a game machine - then make sure it either has a good enough video card integrated or that it has the type of slot (agp/pci) that you'll need to put the video card you want in it.

My wifes Compaq (ugh, not complimenting compaq btw they evil dogs imho) is a good example. It came with an integrated video card that was better then the GeForce cards out at the time (great 3d handling/redering and OpenGL support), but since she uses it almost solely for games, I simply made sure it had an AGP 4x slot in it. So as time went on its had GeForce 2 and GeForce 3 cards swapped in and I have the integrated video turned off now that its become outdated. (Not sure if it has GeForce 3 or 4 in it atm)...

Likewise, she doesn't care about having 5.1 surround sound for her gaming - so its integrated sound is great as it requires noticably LESS system resources then a sound card would consume. Making her games run better/smoother then a non-integrated sound card would.

And the #1 reason this is possibly a 'great' thing for desktops, by buying a system with an integrated sound and video cards we saved a considerable amount of money allowing us to buy 2 systems for just a small amount more then 1 would of cost with non-integrated parts...

RRP

Originally posted here by bpiedlow

And the #1 reason this is possibly a 'great' thing for desktops, by buying a system with an integrated sound and video cards we saved a considerable amount of money allowing us to buy 2 systems for just a small amount more then 1 would of cost with non-integrated parts...

RRP
    A REAL NIC is only like 10 dollars, a Sound Blaster card is about 70 dollars and I paid 50 for the Vid Card....... $130.00 is a huge savings? I don't think so man.

I wasn't trying to like attack you or anything like that, so don't take it wrong, I'm not THAT big of a *****. But I totally agree with your thoughts on "Windmodems". But also I think they are the same thing because they are a hardware peice that uses your OS and your processor cycles instead of its own power just like win modems do.
    gore I was just kidding man. I am not that lame. And I don't believe people personally attack each other and even if they do it doesn't bother me. I am cool man and this thread is going great. Keep them coming.

If you're going to buy a system that may eventually become a game machine - then make sure it either has a good enough video card integrated or that it has the type of slot (agp/pci) that you'll need to put the video card you want in it.
    bpiedlow there's is no such thing as a good enough video card. Do you know how fast these things upgrade? Before you know it your integrated video card wouldn't worth ****. On the other hand ensuring that the board has an AGP slot is the way to go until they upgrade the voltage on the slot again and make it even smaller. Bastards... Money making freaks…

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

yeah whatever ... AP don't mean **** right??? Unless the seniors use them as leverage!

"lick nuts"... huh??? ...is that what you do after you are done plowing a guy in the ass?!

i'm not the one who buys lego parts that don't fit.
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Christ...

i cant NOT chime in on this one. i think its important to look at the difference between integrated parts and PROPRITAIRY crap in a computer. case in point, Compuke chose 2 years ago to get away from using thier broken Motherboard design (cut in half and plugged together via bridge with integrated crap on it) and they started using standardized sized equipment in thier systems (standard ram sizes, and im sure some of you remember trying to put a different AGP card into a compuke system to notice that the screw-offset was not standard, hence you NEEDED to buy a compuke system part for twice the cost).

now for integrated parts:

there are a few things that make total sense in to integrate into a computer. first and formost would be network. i am so happy that i finally dont have to chew up a pci slot to get a network connection running, and its gigabit which means that im good for a few more years, and at least longer than i expect to keep the motherboard (i only use ASUS, for their extensability and ease of use for the past 8 years). Sound is another good one to build in, most are now 5/1 sound and fully capable of reproducing what most mainstream users will do. AND, if you bought a decient board, ALL of the integrated components can be disabled so you can run your own equipment if you want (yes, it can suck to pay for stuff you will not use, however, as computer electronics have fallen in price, you aernt exactly spending a bundle more to have integrated LAN/audio/video, ect).

finally, who wants to have to add in RAID controllers, USB cards, Firewire cards, ect just to fully take advantage of the other electronic components that you have in the house (ditital camera, camcorder, dvd, ect).

i think that most will agree that in the computer world, you really do get what you pay for. all you have to do is look at the package, and see.. if it says "sound blaster compatable" or "us Robotics compatable"...save yourself the time, trouble, and forget the 10 dollars more you pay, (unless your TIME is NOT worth money, and i dont know anyone whose is not).

long rant, and if you are still reading, then you are a better man than me, cause i think i disengaged my brain, about 30 seconds ago...*smile*

10 years ago, i used to buy the cheapest motherboard possible, and it took a few total failures to realize that the foundation in which you build a system around is one of the most important and crutial decisions you make. cause, you can have all the turbo-charging, and gigs of ram in the world, but if you build it on a chassi made from rocks and sticks, all you got is a turbo-charged rock, with a stick.

heh

-javadog

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    WHat a long rant to actually have no opinion at all !
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Originally posted here by etruscan
    yeah whatever ... AP don't mean **** right??? Unless the seniors use them as leverage!

"lick nuts"... huh??? ...is that what you do after you are done plowing a guy in the ass?!

i'm not the one who buys lego parts that don't fit.
    If APs dont mean **** to you, quit making posts about them. And as for me licking nuts, Im not the one that made a post about how much I hate woman, remember? And as for lego parts, Nvidia are not ****ing legos, there the best cards int he world in my opinion.

For the record, why the hell did you bring up APs? Im not the one that negged you, if you do remember I did give you pos points for my other hardware thread, before you made that bitch ass thread about how you hate woman and ****.

If you want to pretend you ARE smarter than me, than back it up, we can have a contest/wargame.

*ahem*
    i _did_ vote...... *smile*, im actually pretty neutral on it. again, i buy the BEST motherboard for the required application, and if it has or does not have integrated equipment, that does not make or break the sale for me. i look for chipset, type/amount of max ram, and the companies history on BIOS flash upgrades and extensability with the board. AND very importantly, the ability to turn off or turn on integrated equipment in the BIOS.

respectfully....

-java

just for the record ... i don't hate women ... just poem writting sensitive quiche eaters ... no matter what's between their legs...

all i'm saying next time open the case BEFORE you buy... sorry for lashing out but "lick nuts" comment wasn't necessary on your side... and yes NVIDIA rocks... i just hope they won' rock too hard ... the last thing we need is monopoly yet in another market... (i've Geforce 2 /32)

yep, yep
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe