View Poll Results: Should Microsoft quit paying crackers to do this ****?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 25.00%
  • No

2 25.00%
  • Gore your so cool. I'm a girl and I want your ass.

4 50.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: "Integrated" Bullshit

When I got my newest PC, it came with an integrated video setup....i810 anyhow, I installed my external video card and now I just run dual display. When handed lemons.....
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

When handed lemons.....
    Throw them away and get some apples... Joke, joke, joke...

That's a neat trick man. I guess as long as you ensure you have an AGP card on your board and you can shut off the integrated card if you want through the BIOS then you have the best of both worlds. Yep, until the integrated device goes bad...

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Surely if you are going to go out and buy new hard ware you would check that your computer supports it, would you buy a car and go to a petrol station to fill up without knowing what petrol it takes a pretty crap anology i know but if you do buy a computer from a shop it will say if it has intergrated graphics/sound/moden/nic etc or not, personally once i seen that, (not that i would buy a computer from a shop anyway) I would ask if it has an AGP slot and how many spare PCI slots has it got.

Aslong as it says "on the box" that it has on-board graphics etc I think that it is a very good idea, you can save 100's of £'s with onboard stuff, all be it the machine will not be as good but if thats what your worried about you wouldnt buy a machine with on board stuff.

You get what you pay for at the end of the day chaps, you can't moan afterwards!

Just in case anyone was wondering, I have fixed this all up. I went to the store and had the guy look at it and it was just a misunderstanding. The thing has support for PCI and thats what the card was but I wanted to use the AGP slot, so I took the card and exchanged it for a new one. The old one was nice with 64 MBs but I paid an extra 20 dollars and got an Nividia Ge-Force FX 5200 with 128 MBs

Well, that's one way to go about it gore... But it doesn't solve the main issue here, which is the fact that, as you managed to put very well, people are being "bent over" way too often.

The problem, in my opinion, doesn't only lie in the mboards with embedded components. An office computer that only exists so that a secretary can type emails and play solitare on it, would most likely have everything simplified and embedded. Rightfully so, as that does save you a bunch of money. Immagine a bank that owns 1000 computers, where they would need to spring for an AGP card, PCI sound card, PCI modem, PCI LAN card etc. for each one...

The real issue is with the computer stores and the wannabe salesmen that too often work in them. ANY person selling computers should as a senior lady buying a comp in late December if they're giving it to a kid. If they are, that kid (or, hopefully getting a new comp and all, me... ) definitely needs a decent AGP video card. My lil' cousin, for example, actually got a motherboard with an embedded VC, and no AGP slot whatsoever. That's 200$ wasted right there, since he obviously had to get a decent board and AGP in a matter of days.

Secondly, embedding as such sucks. Hardware evolves way too fast for me to buy a new computer every time my old one gets a bit too slow for my taste. With individual components, you can customize what you have, and upgrade individual components rationally, so that you always have a hardware setup that can facilitate your needs and wishes.

There. And now I'm off to learn the (luckily) meesly 150$ that will get me a better Nvidia AGP, so that I don't need to buy a whole new comp.

P.S.: Just like my mom never needed to know which carburators her car has, she doesn't need to know which video card is in her comp. She should be able to just tell the salesman what she uses the comp for and get a setup that works fine for her, and hopefully, makes upgrades possible, so the computer won't be obsolete in 6 months.

Originally posted here by Fenka
    Well, that's one way to go about it gore... But it doesn't solve the main issue here, which is the fact that, as you managed to put very well, people are being "bent over" way too often.

The problem, in my opinion, doesn't only lie in the mboards with embedded components. An office computer that only exists so that a secretary can type emails and play solitare on it, would most likely have everything simplified and embedded. Rightfully so, as that does save you a bunch of money. Immagine a bank that owns 1000 computers, where they would need to spring for an AGP card, PCI sound card, PCI modem, PCI LAN card etc. for each one...

The real issue is with the computer stores and the wannabe salesmen that too often work in them. ANY person selling computers should as a senior lady buying a comp in late December if they're giving it to a kid. If they are, that kid (or, hopefully getting a new comp and all, me... ) definitely needs a decent AGP video card. My lil' cousin, for example, actually got a motherboard with an embedded VC, and no AGP slot whatsoever. That's 200$ wasted right there, since he obviously had to get a decent board and AGP in a matter of days.

Secondly, embedding as such sucks. Hardware evolves way too fast for me to buy a new computer every time my old one gets a bit too slow for my taste. With individual components, you can customize what you have, and upgrade individual components rationally, so that you always have a hardware setup that can facilitate your needs and wishes.

There. And now I'm off to learn the (luckily) meesly 150$ that will get me a better Nvidia AGP, so that I don't need to buy a whole new comp.

P.S.: Just like my mom never needed to know which carburators her car has, she doesn't need to know which video card is in her comp. She should be able to just tell the salesman what she uses the comp for and get a setup that works fine for her, and hopefully, makes upgrades possible, so the computer won't be obsolete in 6 months.
    Heh, you tell them your a power user and theyll send you over too the Alienware section. I still think Alienwares rock but they are expensive. This 128 MB Nvidia card I put in last night was 99 dollars. I think it was a great price, it's 128 MBs, and the only game I play is UT. So it works great for me.

For average users in things they really usually dont care about whats inside. Just like your Mom prolly doesnt want a GTO Judge with a 502 in it like I do. I like big engines and bigger computers lol.

Well, it's just plain apalling if you ask me. Just about anyone I know who bought a comp without consulting a friend who knows a bit about hardware got shafted. And by that I mean they sold him obsolete junk for the price that'll usually get you a kickass machine. Even worse, they do it so that you think they're doing you a favor. "Discount systems" are a prime example. For instance, who the hell can live with a 20GB HDD today? Yet most so-called discount package deals still offer 20 or 40 GB HDDs. I think we should line them all up in front of a wall one day and bend them over.

Fenka, I think the problem might be that you are a spoilt little rich people's brat?

How do you compute the $200 wasted?.............I doubt if those MoBos cost more than $50?

" he obviously had to get a decent board and AGP in a matter of days"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO! diddums

He wants to play gamey poohs....................well........get a life!

All game manufacturers employ very intelligent and professional people to assess the marketability of their products. If it will only run on a top of the range box, with a $200+ video card, and all the rest that goes with that, then it is not going to sell many copies. This means the company going broke, and they don't want to do that now, do they? That is why I estimate that most games will run on a 533Mhz PIII and a 32Mb PCI videocard. I am prepared to test that, and recant if I am proven wrong.

You are just one of these pathetic types who wants "bragging rights"??? You actually know jack sh1t about computers, and if you continue in your ways you never will.

A lot of kids have decent, hard working parents, who cannot afford the expensive stuff, to them a matter of 20 or 30 dollars may mean him/her having a PC or not.........particularly if he/she has siblings.

You seem to be stuck on one note my son "me, me, me"?

I do not normally "have a go", but I the case of your arrogant post I am more than willing to make an exception.

I wish you well, you will certainly need it in later life.

*sigh*
    Well, please do. 2 typical titles I practically dare you to test:
    - Republic: The revolution
    - Ghost Recon

I'd be amazed if they start up at all.
    Secondly... I've spent most of my youth on education and learning, so that I am now able to provide for myself. This is no 13-year old you're talking to. Mommy and Daddy have nothing to do with my thread. What I was bitching about, if you missed my point, was the poor service that the salespeople offer, caring more about the extra buck or two than about figuring out what teh user of the comp is going to need. And even if that is only to play graphically demanding games, that is the customer's prerogative.

I was talking about teh abuse of the "integrated bullshit" to misinform the potential customers and literally mislead then when they're buying a comp. Liek I also said (2 posts above my last), such MBs are perfect for office and school use. They are by no means suitable for someone who wants more though.

It somehow compares to a salesman selling you a lorry, when you're looking for a vehicle to drive to and from work. The fact that you don't know anything about cars shouldn't be an excuse for them to rip you off.

Fenka

You might help yourself if your profile was more informative?

You might also help yourself if you bothered to read through a thread..........this one is about MoBos with integrated components......that is sound, video and network/internet connctivity.

I looked at the two games you suggested Ghost Recon says it needs 16Mb of video memory and Republic: The Revolution requires 32Mb.

Almost any integrated package you get these days will support this.

Ghost wants a PII 450 or better, Republic suggests a PIII 800, so the latter is much more sophisticated. However I would say that a $50 MoBo with 64 Mb of shared video memory will probably do the job and you could use a Duron 1.3Ghz processor. Typical of a bottom end integrated product?

You complain about 20 Gb hard drives..............I have not managed to fill one yet? If young people only have basic equipment, they learn asset management? I will admit that I do not build anything serious these days without 120Gb RAID1, but that is just me.

This PC has 2.1 and 6.4 drives and is no way near full.

I will gladly agree with you about salespersons in computer stores. You have certainly had the same experience as many of us, and are as outraged as us all. But the thread that Gore started was not about them, it was about integrated solutions per se.

Good Luck