View Poll Results: Should Microsoft quit paying crackers to do this ****?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 25.00%
  • No

2 25.00%
  • Gore your so cool. I'm a girl and I want your ass.

4 50.00%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: "Integrated" Bullshit

Originally posted here by catch

The dektop is a dying market, the only reason people still buy desktops is because for equal cost they can currently get more power.
    I'm sure you believe every word you're saying, but its all stuff I've been hearing for years. I see no real evidence that the desktop is going away.

Personally, I'm very glad of that! Very, very glad. I've built my own computers and I've had them custom built for me. These days I prefer to have them built for me. Either way, though, I'm required to KNOW the components I want -- which means a lot of research. I learn more each time, and that single fact is a vital and precious reason to keep "designing" my own systems.

I'm sure there are lots of people out there who couldn't care less what's in their PC, and would just as soon buy a ready-rolled. That's fine for them, but not for me, and I have all the confidence in the world that the manufacturers will maintain a place for me in the marketplace.

Director

i think everyone needs to say a little mantra to themselves: "Lighten Up Francis"....

*smile*..

this has been a great thread, got lost a couple times, but it came back around again, and i voted for being bent over while i played pong.....HEY, anyone seen my ball????

-Java

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted here by bpiedlow

Keep in mind also - integrated sound and NIC, while not saving alot of money up front, allows you to have multiple more open PCI slots. Allowing a smaller tower to be purchased with just as much room for additions (saving a little more money for those of us whom like room to grow)...

RRP
    This is completly wrong... sorry but the size of your tower doesn't really matter when it comes to expansion slots. Or you get a midi tower that fits both ATX and µATX or you get a mini tower that (probably will fit both also or occasionaly) only fit µATX mobo's. So the number of expansion slots used for PCI or AGP cards is the same. The only difference is the room inside, for instance you can't get a complete watercooling inside a small mini tower. A larger tower just gives you more room for more HDD's, cd devices, cooling, Fdd's,... it has not much to do with the expansion cards, unless it's so small that longer cards (full size agp or pci doesn't fit in) this is the case for barebone and small form cases. Therefor low profile cards are designed.

The multiple more open PCI slots is also wrong cause motherboards with parts integrated come with less open slots (why should you need them is their idea). So most Mobo's without IGP, come with an AGP and 4, 5 or even 6 PCI slots and they still have USB, ATA, Sound, and probably also LAN integrated.
    Your "integrated" mobo comes with the (cheap) video integrated no agp slot and 3 or 4 open PCI slots.
    It's not necessarly the option with most expansion options, in contrary.

Talking

Integrated parts have made the computers much cheaper for the corporate world. Companies buy computers to use for 3 or so years and then refresh them buy buying new ones, so upgrading isn't a factor. Personally i would prefer a computer with out some integrated parts for the reason of upgrading. But thats only my opinion and i could be wrong.
    Check out the Big Brain on Brad!

The multiple more open PCI slots is also wrong cause motherboards with parts integrated come with less open slots (why should you need them is their idea). So most Mobo's without IGP, come with an AGP and 4, 5 or even 6 PCI slots and they still have USB, ATA, Sound, and probably also LAN integrated.
    Your "integrated" mobo comes with the (cheap) video integrated no agp slot and 3 or 4 open PCI slots.
    It's not necessarly the option with most expansion options, in contrary.
    I'm sorry, you're wrong about this. Although I will agree that this may be the case with some manufacturers - but definiatly not all.

Our Compaqs (sorry to keep using it as example, I really do hate compaqs in general they were just cheap and fit the bill of what was needed at the time)...
    Anyway, it has intgrated sound, video, Nic, and Modem with USB etc - but still came with an AGP 2x/4x slot and 5 PCI slots.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Indeed bpiedlow, some manufactures give an AGP and 5 PCI slots too. So all I could say is, yep, you are right. I only pointed out that the more open slots is not always true.