Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual boot!!!!!

dual boot!!!!!

hi
    just a quick question.how can i install two same versions of windows(98,2000,xp)etc.
    in dual booting mode.
    guys i know i should have searched first.but i m in a real hurry but any ways need like flaming me .do it at
    bisht_kamal@sify.com
    thanks
    bye

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I dont know how to do it in windows buit I can do it with Linux RedHAT 9.0 & XP on a Pentium2 333MHZ 20GB hardrive piece of **** monitor <mitsubshi>

install the older version of the OS before installing the newer version. they will give you an option to configure for dual boot.

Another way is to use a program out there that allows you to switch between OSes. if installing *nix then lilo will help

The Recidivist
    Go to

Tucows

or

Download

and type "boot loaders"

Should bring a couple of results.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

If you are dual booting two XPs or two Win2Ks, make two partitions and install to each. Edit your boot.ini on the Primary partition (if it isn't already configured) to point to each install.

With Win9x, you will probably need to use a Linux install to get a lilo to manage the boots. I've multi-booted systems with DOS, Win9x and NT (so that Boot.ini handles the boot selection). But not just DOS and Win9x.

i emailed a copy of my boot file and the instructions but i had same problem solved here

xp dual boot after format -<<<<<didnt know how to link so here is thread

Security News
    • BEA Tackles Application Security
    • First Homeland Security Tech Incubator Opens
    • No More Weekly Microsoft Patches

Security Products
    • East-Tec FormatSecure v1.5 (EAST Technologies)
    • TZ Popup Killer & Ads Filter (TrackZapper.com)
    • SurfAnonymous V1.0.1.0 (Sa6ry Software House)
    • Internet Cleaner (Neoweb Software)
    • Word Password Recovery (Intelore)
    • KEYKatcher-128K (Allen Concepts, Inc.)

Home / Forums / Newbie Help / Newbie Security Questions /

xp dual boot after format

The Overall AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is: somewhat positive
    Expand all | Contract all Last Thread Next Thread
    Author Thread

jxrry59 xp dual boot after format 06-29-2003 01:32 PM

| Assign Positive or Negative AntiPoints To This Post
    jxrry59 []
    AntiOnline Member

Tutorials Posted: 0

Mood: contented
    Reason: Good friends in my life
    Mood Updated:
    05-08-2003 03:47 PM

xp dual boot after format posted 06-29-2003 01:32 PM
    (post #1)

I had xp pro on 2 partitions on the same hard drive c and d I formatted c and reinstalled and now i cant boot into d-I think i got help here when i originally did this but my mind is fragmented and the other partition is my roomates-thanks for any help

when i boot i get 2 xp pro options but only one works i didn't remove the partitions and the error says something about check harddrive and boot options which is beyond me, without your help!!!!!!!!

avdven 06-29-2003 04:23 PM

avdven []
    AntiOnline Senior Member

Tutorials Posted: 1

Mood: frustrated
    Reason: Brrr... it's cold!
    Mood Updated:
    08-15-2003 03:19 PM

posted 06-29-2003 04:23 PM
    (post #2)

Copy and paste the contents of your boot.ini into your post (the file can be found as a hidden file in the root directory of your C drive). With that, we can help you fix your problem.

AJ

jxrry59 boot.ini?? 06-29-2003 04:42 PM

jxrry59 []
    AntiOnline Member

Mood Updated:

boot.ini?? posted 06-29-2003 04:42 PM
    (post #3)

I unhid all files and did a search and didn't come up with anything--can you tell me what folder it is in, like system 32..not there and not in system i did find a bootdat in the windows folder

avdven 06-29-2003 04:49 PM

avdven []
    AntiOnline Senior Member

Mood Updated:

posted 06-29-2003 04:49 PM
    (post #4)

It's directly under your C drive (just go to Windows Explorer, click on the C: Local Disk and it should be there.

AJ

jxrry59 06-29-2003 04:58 PM

jxrry59 []
    AntiOnline Member

Mood Updated:

posted 06-29-2003 04:58 PM
    (post #5)

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW
    S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="jxrry" /fastdetect
    multi(2)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="kevin" /fastdetect

thanks for the patience!

Cemetric 06-29-2003 05:37 PM

Cemetric []
    AntiOnline Newbie

Proxy Detected

Mood: hopeful
    Reason: For not all people are sheep !! :-]
    Mood Updated:
    06-28-2003 03:50 AM

posted 06-29-2003 05:37 PM
    (post #6)

Hi,

You say you deleted the first partition ...

And now you can only boot the first partition (the one you reinstalled)...correct?

The problem is (I think) ..that with reinstalling the C-drive you overwrote the MBR and with that the possibility to boot to the D-drive.

is the line multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="jxrry" /fastdetect your new installed C-drive then Windows discovered the second one so normaly it should boot into it ..unless as I stated before the MBR got rewritten or something.

Maybe this site helps Tools and References for the MBR ..there's also a link or two to get some free tools at symantec to read and maybe alter your MBR ...

Provided this is the problem offcourse

C.

- Ernesto"Che"Guevara (1928-1967)

avdven 06-29-2003 06:15 PM

avdven []
    AntiOnline Senior Member

Mood Updated:

posted 06-29-2003 06:15 PM
    (post #7)

Make a backup of the file and modify it to look like this:

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW
    S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="jxrry" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="kevin" /fastdetect --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, make sure that the Windows directory on the D: drive is D:\Windows. If it is different (such was WINNT, etc.) modify the second line to match that.

AJ

jxrry59 Thank you!!! 06-29-2003 09:39 PM

jxrry59 []
    AntiOnline Member

Mood Updated:

Thank you!!! posted 06-29-2003 09:39 PM
    (post #8)

I edited the file and it worked-Thanks so much for all your help and patience!!!! This is why this site is my homepage---filled with F***ing genuises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Subscribers (2) : Cemetric, jxrry59

Display posts in this thread from previous:
    All Posts 1 day 2 days 5 days 10 days 20 days 30 days 45 days 60 days 75 days 100 days 1 year sorted by Post Date User Subject Attachement Post Length from All Usersavdven (3)Cemetric (1)jxrry59 (4) in ascending descending Search

Printable Version | Email This Page!
    Stop receiving updates (unsubscribe) to this thread « Previous Thread
    Programming????? Next Thread »
    Debug Script Help