Thread: Photoshop startup problem

Question Photoshop startup problem

hello friends,
    this is fireball101 - newbie on this site... i found antionline very interesting for my computer solns... i have heard a lot about this site from my friends... this is the best one i hope for my computer solns.
    well my problem is that when iam starting photoshop 7, it gives me a startup problem by showing photoshop unable to initiaze & insuffient memory.
    i thought that it may be a virtual memory problem but that didn't work. i even reinstalled the software twice by again it didn't work...

My machine Configuratn -

OS - windows98se
    CPU - PIV 1.8 Ghz
    Motherboard - Intel 845GL
    RAM - 256 MB RAM

so friends, please help me to solve out this problem....

how many process do you have running at the time, because 256mb is recommended tu run windows , but image editing takes a lot of RAM so i recommend you to upgrade the memory put another 256 mb and the problem should be gone.

Angry

hey friend,

don't give me such foolish solns... a person can run photoshop on 128mb RAM sufficiently.... even a person can run windows 98se os on 32MB if he wants & 64MB RAM is way sufficient to run Windows 98se os.

hey friend,

don't give me such foolish solns... a person can run photoshop on 128mb RAM sufficiently.... even a person can run windows 98se os on 32MB if he wants & 64MB RAM is way sufficient to run Windows 98se os.

reason is very simple your PC is not able to run the photshop

Angry

hey friend,
    u r giving me a very stupid answer... u don't have any hardware knowlegde... please don't give me such a foolish, stupid answers...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    fireball101, which OS are you using?

If the OS is XP or 2000 (and IIRC) the min requirements are 128 but recommended is 256 and higher. That said, PS is a hog when it comes to memory. It usually needs more for a "scratch space" for holding images and such.

What EXACTLY does the error say (error codes?)?

Have you checked your hard drive for bad blocks and such?

Do any other programs experience similar issues?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    IF it truely is a memory problem you can go to EDIT on the file bar and down at the bottom of the install menu I think... you should see preferences. And under the preferences tab you can go to Memory & Image Cache. This setting allows you to adjust the amount of RAM for PhotoShop. By default, nearly 30% to 50% goes to Photoshop. I think the second setting is for Plug-ins & Scratch Disks... (see MsM's post) If you have more than one available hard drive changing that setting might help a lot. Setting the scratch disk an a drive other than the drive that the OS and Photoshop is installed on, may do major improvements...

Before talking about hardware you may also want to checkout the beginings of windows 98. I can remember back in the mid -90s and it was one of win98's "opening nights"... everyone waited then when someone pluged the printer in something cool happened. (Blue screen of death) but then agian thats windows for ya.

Oh and another thing... I'll suggest that you stop flameing peaple for no reason unless you want to become one of the thousands of noobies that send me PM about how I hurt their feelings and booo hooo. Cause let me tell ya... if your flame goes any further than it has already gotten then im about to tell you to grab photoshop then shove it up someplace... and I don't mean up your computer, "FRIEND".

You could add more ram or

start--run--type in msconfig

Navigate to the startup tab and deselect everything you don't need.

I had a person once who only had 25% resources free. After I went ot msconfig and unchecked all of the office, AOL, and spyware ****, it increased his resources to 77% free.
    =

GreekGoddess
    Hold CTRL+ALT+SHIFT while the program is initializing and delete your preferences file.
    A dialog box will appear asking you if you wish to delete your preference file. Click yes.

(If you're unable to do this through the program remove it manually by going to
    your Photoshop directory and deleting the .psp (Preference File) from there.)

This has been an ongoing problem with Photoshop and this method seems to work the best for repairing it. It's not a memory issue at all...just an annoying instance that happens every once in a while.

Also, updating it to 7.01 wouldn't hurt either.

If GG's Advice dosent help.. and the advice given above and quoted for your reading pleasure READ my extra info..
    how many process do you have running at the time
    start--run--type in msconfig

Navigate to the startup tab and deselect everything you don't need.
    I will add.. also run a spyware prog like Spybot S&D.. checking the Motherboard drivers would also help.. Some of the mobo's released in the past 12mths have poor driver support for Win98.. BTW: WHO MAnufactured the MOBO?.. was it Intel or is it a Intel Chipseted MoBo?

and BTW:
    hey friend,
    u r giving me a very stupid answer... u don't have any hardware knowlegde
    I am not familure with your culture.. in australia if we are going to insult someones efforts to help us.. we dont refer to them as "hey Friend" .. the current prefered is .."Hey Imbo (cile)" ..

Cheers and all the best for the solution..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr