Thread: SCO suspends billing users

SCO suspends billing users

"SCO is to suspend 'indefinitely' its demand that SGI pay it UNIX™ royalties. Perhaps more importantly for Linux users, it's not going to bill end users either. Businesses who run Linux don't have to worry about an invoice from SCO, or at least not yet. The Utah-based company had said it was looking for $699 up to $4,999 for servers and $199 for desktops. Now it's delaying sending out the invoices.

SCO claims to have found a couple of mugs who wanted pay the license fees without receiving an invoice. But as analyst Gordon Haff of Illuminata told IDG, billing end-users exposes SCO to counter-suits, at least in the litigious USA. "

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/33444.html

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    All I can say is HA! SCO is learning that money ain't all it's cracked up to be and perhaps customers (I won't say loyal because I don't know if I'd want to stay with them at this point) are a little more important for the long term.

For those determined to show how much they dislike SCO's recent activities visit ThinkGeek and get the latest, greatest shirt!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

first of all, i don't necessarily agree with what SCO is doing as i run a mix of win/*nix/mac myself, each performing specific functions and performing them very well. so i am glad they have "called off the dogs"(for now) so to speak. however, one question that i don't see anyone wanting to discuss is this....."what if they're right?" what if their IP(if it really is their IP) was indeed stolen and put into linux, what happens next. are we expected to say as a community "oh well sucks for you SCO, piss off?", that isn't right at all. IMO i don't know any developer that would like to have their code stolen and incorporated into another product and not be compensated for it.

i'm curious, what do other people think of the "what if" question?
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....