Thread: maybe hardware?most likely software issue-removing nt4 and instaling 98se?????

maybe hardware?most likely software issue-removing nt4 and instaling 98se?????

Hi there,
    manage to set up that bios problem the other day so pc is working now.
    it has nt4 on it.
    i would like to install window 98se and remove nt4.When i set up to boot from cd to install it get the message that i can not do it in nt4 that i have to quit and use prompt to install it from dos.My cd reads that is disk 98 there but have to quit nt4 first to be able to install it from dos.
    Now tricky part for me
    when you boot from nt4 and screen comes when u press f8 it does not have options to boot in dos mode or safe mode or anything just to nt4 or nt4 in agp mode?
    so what i have to do?
    erase everything from disk first?(not sure what are best commands)? and then install 98?
    please advice
    thanks
    have gigabyte motherboard with 20 g disk(this one for kids)
    thnks

Ok, take the 98 disk and put it in the d: and then restart your Computer. it will book from the disk, thus enabling you to by pass the annoying screan, once you get there you can choose to down grade to 98 from NT.

That is it, you could also partition your Harddrive and run both. But I don't think that is what you want so I am not going to say much about it.

You have 2 options (probably more but these are the easy ones ), if the machine will boot from a CD you must place the CD-drive in the boot sequence via the BIOS and boot the 98 CD. If the machine does not boot CD (Only older machines lack this ability) you must create a boot disk(floppy) that has the proper CD-ROM support and boot via floppy then run the setup from the CD.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Elite Hacker
    If you're not trying to save your data you might as well do a clean intsall, in fact I believe that you would have to do this. Set your bios to boot from cd-rom. If you had a 98 boot floppy you could do this with that also. Anyways, when it asks you if you want to start the install say yes, then exit the install after it starts because you won't be able to do it anyway. This should take you to dos with your cd drive at the prompt ex. e:>
    if it doesn't do that and tries to boot into NT4 just change your bios to take your hard drive completely out of the boot sequence then repeat the previous steps. When you get to the dos prompt type fdisk. In fdisk delete all your partitions and make a new primary dos partition. reboot and get to the command prompt and type format c:
    let it format and when it finishes type setup and it should launch the win98 setup.
    Hope this helped.

Yes,

You need to go into BIOS and set the Boot from CD ABOVE Boot from HDD. Your Win98 should have shipped with an installation/boot disk. You could also boot from this, provided that you have Boot from Floppy at the top of your boot sequence in the BIOS.

If you are loading an OEM version of Win98 you may get a complaint that there is already an operating system there. Youwould then have to reformat the HDD so that it is no longer detected and will be overwritten by the 98 installation.

Cheers

ty guys will try some options already few optins after 15 minutes of posting ty
    i tryed starting pc and booting from cd but it still goes to normal start up with nt.
    will try the other optins
    will let you know
    thnks

Hi, remember to alter the BIOS startup settings.

It is possible that your Win 98 CD is not an autobooting one, or may be faulty. You will have to use a Win98 boot disk in this case.

Cheers