Thread: Data recovery help please

Data recovery help please

Hello, i am wondering if it is possible to recover lost data (photos and some programs)
    after re-installing and not deleting the partition?. I re-installed yesterday after getting
    a trojan. I don't know much about computers and didn't copy to disk this stuff, i have
    searched this site for related posts, but mainly seem to need another hard drive to
    download the recovery software. Is there any way , or programs that i can use to try
    and restore this data? thanks for you time in helping. eCd.

Hi

Try: http://home.nexgo.de/christian_grau/rescue/index.html

The app. is called Drive Rescue v1.9d

If you have overwritten your files then I am afraid that they are beyond software recovery techniques.

Good Luck

Thankyou nihil for the link. It says that" Second hard disk (or network drive)
    is recommende for recovery" With this in mind can i use it on the one box or
    should not. thankyou again. eCd.

Hi eCodriVe,

I think that the recommendation is based on recovering a whole drive, rather than just some folders/files. In this case it would be wise to have a space a bit larger than the one you are trying to recover.

For what you want to do I would recommend a separate partition , but there should not be a problem with doing it on the same drive and computer.

DON'T DEFRAGMENT THE PARTITION YOU ARE TRYING TO RECOVER FROM!!! that would probably overwrite the data you have lost

Cheers

I don't have any syggestions for which software to use, but I am asking similar questions in this thread. I haven't tried any of the software recommended to me there yet.

But one suggestion I would make is to create a bitwise imag of the entire partition and work on just the image rather than the drive itself. Then you don't have to be afraid of erasing data you might otherwise recover. WinImage can do this, as well as Norton Ghost and Disk Druid, to name a few. Just make sure it's a sector-by-sector copy, or a bitwise copy, and not a native copy which would neglect unallocated space which may contain the data you are trying to recover.

So make an image of the partition, then work off that image to recover files. If you write over any data, just re-image the partition and try again.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Well eCodriVe..that all depends that the wether the free memory manager has overwritten the free space or not. A software based application can recover 3 or 4 times formated data. Some people say that a formatted disk can be recovered even if its formatted 32 times.Some agencies used to do that. But you need a clean room and electron tunnling microscope that surely very expensive. and few other things.I recovered my 8 gigz from an application.Now I can upload this application for you. DO PM me of you want me to do that. Do tell me that wether your partition is NTFS or FAT or ETC.
    would be glad to help you.
    Ommy