Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diskless HDD's

Diskless HDD's

I have just been reading this months edition of PC Answers and it seems the next generation of HDD's is going to use Soilid State Technology.

They are going to consist of an array of SDRAM modules arranged in a HDD type case.

Expensive i think!!!!!

However much quicker obviously than common HDD's, they are expected to have a seek time of between 50-100 MICROseconds as apposes to the traditional hdd's which have a seek time of around 10 MILLIseconds.

They will obvioulsy need a battery of some kind as memory moduled are very volatile and will need a fan of some sort!

I have a feeling these will definatly be the next gen HDD's especially with the price of memory falling so much, it would definatly be worth paying the extra i feel( within reason though!)

The have a web site at www.pcanswers.com if anyone wants to check the article out.

well a super computer is faster than ur p.c then y don't you buy 1.its just a waste of time i say may be tech advanced but it won't make any differnce tilll the cost comes down to earth

Thanks for that.

Isn't it strange how things go in circles. I can remember the days of 20Mb (yep that's Megs ), drives. You had a choice betwen a "memory card" or a drive. They were about the same price.

We have solid state memory devices now (those little USB plug in units), and the cards in digital cameras. I would not like to pay for 120Gb worth right now!

There appears to be a technology development in the pipeline, but I think it will be a while before we see affordable prices, because the manufacturers will want to recoup their research & development costs?

Interesting post

Cheers

Yeah, I wouldnt be suprised if it take atleast 2-3 years at least before they fall into the home users price range.

The USB memory sticks you mentioned cost over £500 for 256MB about a yearish ago but they are quite resonably priced now, I think that the HDD's will be around quite soon in servers and similar things so hopefully the big firms will keep paying, until the manufacturers do recoup their costs, so that one day we may all have a diskless HDD!!

Well in fainess its the cost at the moment thats stopping them going to larger sizes, cos ive got a 256mb smart media card in a laptop as a replacement for the hardisk, running a cut down (severly) version of linux, It wont be long before there solid state

i2c

Its a bit of a contradiction in terms really..... Diskless Hard Disk Drive!.. I wonder waht they will call them?

You're very right nihil about tech circles...Haha, going even further back, you had those damned 7 inch floppies for a HD waaaaaay back
    Pretty soon we'll have hover keyboards, telekinetic mouses....Hell, we have pure fiber internet connections nowadays, so maybe those things aren't that far away, you're talking about in a 10 year period going from 2400 baud modems to modems that go 1000x faster. I'd say the tech industry has reinvented the wheel about 20 times over by now...interesting the things that come out nowadays. Making the previously thought impossible...possible...but expensive.
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

and maybe M$ will invent a decent O/S!!

Its a bit of a contradiction in terms really..... Diskless Hard Disk Drive!.. I wonder waht they will call them?
    baa baa baa... RAM Drives.. but that is already being used.. and for volitile setups
    FRAM-Drives ?? ie Flash RAM
    hmm PRAM's....... Programable RAM drives??

Nah.. BUCKET.. you stack ya shite in it and move it from place to place.. and if the data is corrupted or lost.. you only need to replace the B with a F for what you would say about it..

Yep.. a 256Mb USB drive with Knopix and a couple of fav tools.. just started to play.. thought it would be a good idea for service work.. oh and a way cheaper 128Mb for moving my p0rn..ahh ahh MP3's.. yep yep my music.. I use it for moving my music files..yep yep and any urgent data..
    excuse the shite.. but these are bloody handy tools..

Cheers

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr