Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diskless HDD's

Love it!! BUCKET what an awsome idea, I think you should get the copyright on that one before Microsoft releases it next O/S!!

First off, SDRAM modules are Volatile, you kill the power and all your data is lost, I belive what they meant would be Electronicaly Erasable Programable read only memory (EEPROM) Basicaly, a USB memory stick....
    We can already get them up in the Gigabyte range, so its really only a matter of time before they take over for the old Disk drives. Disk drives generate alot of heat and noise aswell as being failure prone, The new technology in silicon chips makes them faster for read and write aswell as having better workable enviromental paramiters.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

I just re read the article, I agree with you that EPROM chips may be more suitable, however the article says that they use SDRAM modules which obviously have a battery to keep them refreshed and charged when the unit is unplugged.

SDRAM modules would have a faster accsess time than any E/E-PROM and wouldnt take nearly as long to erase/re-write data.

But you'd have the ever looming threat of all your data dying....a normal HDD now adays has a head write spead of fractions of miliseconds, EEPROM is still faster than that and your data isn't suddenly going to go poof coz the batteries ran out.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

I know, but hey, i didnt invent them!!!

I presume that the people who did are using SDRAM modules for a reason!

I would not buy that product.

I dont think would either, even if I could afford it!

Silicon prices are plumeting, it'll be cheap soon, but as SDRAM modules I wouldn't buy it, I'd rather have the EEPROM edition that will undoubtably be made.

A problem with EEPROM ia an EEPROM chip has to be erased and reprogrammed in its entirety, not selectively and can only be erased in bytes. It also has a limited life - that is, the number of times it can be reprogrammed is limited to tens or hundreds of thousands of times.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...213928,00.html

Maybe Flash Memory which is a version of EEPROM would be better as data can be erased in blocks instead of bytes

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/...212130,00.html

Although Flash Memory would need to be constantly powered I beleive.