Thread: Shutdown.exe Instructions

Shutdown.exe/Logoff.exe Instructions

This Utility Only Works With Windows 2000 and XP

COMMANDLINE UTILITY: This means it is used through command prompt. (command.com/cmd.exe). To access command prompt goto START MENU>>RUN>>TYPE "command"

ABOUT: This utility was featured with the blaster virus, if you niticed you would sometimes receive a message telling you that your computer is going to restart within the next 30 seconds. That message was generated with the shutdown.exe utility. The following should give you a pretty good idea of what the shutdown utility does and how you can use it for your home, workplace or network.

Usage: SHUTDOWN [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:x:yy]

-i >>Display GUI interface, must be the first option
    -l >> Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
    -s >> Shutdown the computer
    -r >> Shutdown and restart the computer
    -a >> Abort a system shutdown
    -m \\computername >> Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
    -t xx >> Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
    -c "comment" >> Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
    -f >> Forces running applications to close without warning
    -d [u][p]:xx:yy >> The reason code for the shutdown
    u is the user code
    p is a planned shutdown code
    xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)
    yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)
    All of these commands are usefull through DOS, incase you want to create a batch file. I would recommend "shutdown -i". This will display a GUI Interface that is much easier to use.

Usage examples:
    =Log off current user and forces quick shutdown of applications: shutdown -l -f
    =Initate shutdown in 30 seconds: shutdown -s -t 30
    =Cancel all initiated actions: shutdown -a
    =Restart the computer: shutdown -r
    =Shutdown other computer: shutdown \\192.168.X.X -s

NOTE: This is veryusefull for a system admin, with a simple batch/vb script you can make every computer on your network shutdown without having to manually go to each computer and pressing the power button. Also this is good for a VB application, you can use a command like shell("shutdown -s -t " & text1.text).

ADDON:
    THE LOGOFF Function:

LOGOFF [sessionname | sessionid] [/SERVER:servername] [/V]

sessionname >> The name of the session.
    sessionid >> The ID of the session.
    /SERVER:servername >> Specifies the Terminal server containing the user session to log off (default is current).
    /V >> Displays information about the actions performed.
    From what i understand you can use this connand to logoff another computer on your network. Also handy if you a network admin and at the end of the day you want every computer logged off.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

I would like to see REAL tutorials and not just cut and paste jobs. And if you're going to cut and paste then how about citing your sources.

http://www.budja.com/shutdown/readme.html

Actually if you actually read mine you would see the many differences.

[b]THIERS:[\b]
    -l -> Log Off.
    -u -> Shutdown (Turn Off).
    -r -> Restart.
    -h -> Hibernate.
    -s -> Stand By (Sleep).
    -f -> Force the action.
    -c -> Cancel a running shutdown.
    -t sec -> Delay for number of seconds.
    [b]MINE:[\b]
    -i >>Display GUI interface, must be the first option
    -l >> Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
    -s >> Shutdown the computer
    -r >> Shutdown and restart the computer
    -a >> Abort a system shutdown
    -m \\computername >> Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
    -t xx >> Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
    -c "comment" >> Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
    -f >> Forces running applications to close without warning
    -d [u][p]:xx:yy >> The reason code for the shutdown
    If you look, i don't know maybe you cant read, but there is a great difference between them. Mine is correct is theirs is worng. The next time you feel like taking a piece of my work and comapreing it with a piece of **** that doesn't work, think, compare, then **** off.

If i didn't assign all my points today i would NEG you. But i cant, but hell myabe someone else will.

WAIT, i'm sorry, there is something simular between these, their title. Sorry, because the titles are the same then that must mean that the whole thing is.

I'm not toatally sure if you can use "/domain" with these commands. If anyone tests this please tell me if it's possible. THnaks
    -Spools

And you just "happen" to have the same errors/misspellings too
    But wait...that would mean I did read them to notice such pathetic little errors. Must be my english major playing with my eyes to notice such "little" similarities.

Yours:
    Usage examples:
    =Log off current user and forces quick shutdown of applications: shutdown -l -f
    =Initate shutdown in 30 seconds: shutdown -s -t 30
    =Cancel all initiated actions: shutdown -a
    =Restart the computer: shutdown -r
    =Shutdown other computer: shutdown \\192.168.X.X -s

Theirs:
    Usage examples:
    Log off current user and forces quick shutdown of applications: shutdown -l -f
    Initate standby in 30 seconds: shutdown -s -t 30
    Cancel all initiated actions: shutdown -c
    Shut the computer down: shutdown -u
    Restart the computer: shutdown -r

Doesn't take much effort to add a few words/sentences and pretend that its your work. If you want to be an ass about someone pointing out your pathetic attempts to plagerize someone elses work then you should take your sources from a book instead of the web. Google works wonders at finding key words on websites to point out the bullshit people like you try to pull.
    So in your own immortal words...**** off!
    OH! And for your information...I don't give a rat's ass about your negative AP's!
    ~Amorphous~

Well if you also notice his entire post was incorrect, all of that information was wrong.
    "Cancel all initiated actions: shutdown -c"
    -c will not cancel the shutdown precess, its -a that will do that.

Example, you copy just the wrong answers from someone's test, then you go through and change every wrong answer to the right one. Would It still be cheating off that persons test?

Re: Shutdown.exe/Logoff.exe Instructions

You know...the really sad part is that in your original post it shows that you qouted someone else's work but failed to provide a source. Then you try to deny it. But wait...that must be wrong too. Maybe someone hacked your post and put that in there. Whatever...I'm through here. All I ask is that the next time you post a tutorial that you post it on something informative, research your topic, and write it yourself or cite your sources. And as for your "example" the answer is yes. If you know the right answer then why copy...DO IT YOURSELF to begin with!

Example, you copy just the wrong answers from someone's test, then you go through and change every wrong answer to the right one. Would It still be cheating off that persons test?
    ~Amorphous~

Nice Job soulfly.. Don't sweat the small stuff..Good tut !
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."