Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new computer, seeking advice.

Buying a new computer, seeking advice.

Hi I am buying a new PC and I had a few hardware questions. First off, I have heard of Via C3 processors and that they are compatible with PIII motherboards. Are they any good?(The processor) This is not a gaming machine, just a workstation. I have heard that the processor is great but that it is not the best choice for a power user(Hardcore gamer). The processor is $30 dollars new(More inticement to buy it) and it runs real quiet(Supposedly.) Any help would be great.
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"

How much are you willing to spend? What are you using it for? Do you have a motherboard already, is that why you are asking that question? Processors make noise? ;D

TigerDirect usually has compatablity charts in their catalogs for most items. I am almost positive they sell the processor you are looking into. They may even have compatablity charts online as well. Just a thought.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

For an extra 20 bucks, you can get a AMD Athlon XP 1800.

Be faster than a P III, and you'll workstation will be newer, but still not be pricey.

For a cheap workstation, you could put it together for $200.
    =

If you're just looking for parts, I've had good luck with mwave.com (www.mwave.com). Good selection, good prices. Otherwise, I'm a Dell fan.

Might I also suggest

www.tcwo.com
    www.pcprogress.com
    =

Well wt do u mean .....

"" and it runs real quiet(Supposedly.) ""

the prosesor's only moving part is a fan... & it is quiet....

I meant the fan. The processor is the coolest running on the market so if you are not running games or powerful graphics applicatons it doesn't need a fan. Just some heat sinks. Its primary role is a workstation (example: word, powerpoint, mozilla, IRC). So it is going to be running low res. and low detail stuff. Probably won't even need DirectX 9.0b. Just an older version of directX will do fine. Here is Via's home page for the C3: http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/c3.jsp check it out!
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"

How about an AMD Duron 1.3Ghz?

I am over in the UK so pricing is probably different? but that is what I use for a cheap stable cool system

Cheers

If you build you're own computer; it will be a thing of beauty, and exactly what you want (or need).

One little point.......you are the warranty/guarantee. If something breaks down; it's up to you to deal with the supplier for replacement part. (or the dreaded RMA)

Sometimes it's just easier to get a prebuilt, with a 3 year 'on site' warranty.

My 2 Cents worth