Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bios Passwords

Bios Passwords

I have placed a bios password on my PC at my house so that none of my roomies would have access to it. Then a while back my hard drive crashed and I had not the funds to replace it till now. Since the system has been down I have only been able to use my lap top or my work systems. I now want to use my PC at my house only I have since forgotten my bios password. Is there a way I can recover the password or some sort of software I can use to access my computer again?? any help would be much appreciated
    tweekerjay@aol.com

There are a number of "back door" passwords available especially on older systems. I don't know any of them but google for them, they must be around somewhere.

Failing that, reset the bios as per the mobo manual (usually involves moving jumpers)

just to add to slartys reply, if you`ve got an older computer you could just take out the battery on the motherboard for a min and it`ll reset the BIOS.

Depending on the type of system you have, you can use one of several methods. Some motherboards have a jumper for resetting the BIOS (Dells have this).

1. Open the case, move the jumper, reboot, clear passwords, shutdown, switch jumper back, reboot.

2. The battery method. Turn system off, unplug power cord from power supply, remove CMOS battery. Count to 30. Replace battery. Reboot.

3. Short the BIOS. With system off and power cord plugged into power supply to maintain ground, remove BIOS chip from socket (note direction), place pins-down on bare metal spot on power supply. Count to about 5 or 10. Carefully, replace BIOS (in correct direction). Reboot.

There may be other methods, but one of these will normally get you back in business.

bios backdoors >> http://www.labmice.net/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

what type of box/bios ?

2. The battery method. Turn system off, unplug power cord from power supply, remove CMOS battery. Count to 30. Replace battery. Reboot.
    I think you'll have to wait a bit more than 30 seconds

Old Fart

I think you'll have to wait a bit more than 30 seconds
    Agreed....15 minutes is more the norm.....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Personally I have never got a back door password to work in years. Old school yeah, but haven't been successful for a while.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Talking

Maybe I should point out where these are most effective.

1. Usually in the newer, more current machines and motherboards.

2. Early CMOS systems, where the clock circuits and BIOS didn't retain data beyond a few seconds. Removing the battery in current motherboards may require days for the circuits to discharge, so, see number one.

3. Really old stuff, PC, PC XT and early AT (including some 386 and 486) systems where you could actually remove the BIOS chip and dance it on the power supply.

Ive always found that removing the CMOS battery and then freezing the Mo Bo will reset any BIOS on any Mo Bo.

CMOS chips do not like the cold at all!

And what abot the CMOS Reset Jumper..? this was on most mobos.. and on a number i have installed up till 2 months ago..

certainly saves removing chips batteries and things .. just remove the power cord... remove the jumper from the Normal position.. place in the Reset position.. call your GF.. talk dirty for a while.. return to the PC.. remove the jumper from the reset position and place back in the Normal position.. and voila.. but there are other ones like zida/tomato m/b that had you hold the F key during powerup..oh and removeing the battery for three week didnt help(thats a 4yearold HOS)..

cheers..just my .02 worth
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr