Thread: Home Network Admin?

Home Network Admin?

I set up home network using XP network thing...I have Microsoft wireless network too..

I was wondering how i would go about setting myself up as admin. I can't figure it out. I don't have permission to do anything on the other two computers on my network (It's just my parents and brother).

Thanks..

Just create an Administrator account on the other two computers for you.

Start--control panel--users--new user, or maybe new account. select an administrator account and there ya go.
    =

I mean so that I can remotly access and control the other computers from mine that's on the same network..

You can use the Remote Assistance tool in XP. I've never used it, but it lets somebody look at your PC I believe. Thats the free way. The other way is to buy something like Pcanywhere that allows you to have full control, i.e seeing the other desktop, and executring stuff on that PC.

You could also set up a FTP server on one PC so you can transfer files back and forth.
    =

Elite Hacker
    Here are a couple of options:
    http://www.realvnc.com/
    that's what i use, you can have it to where you can or can't remotely control the keyboard or mouse. I have it off that way the users don't know you're watching them because the mouse never moves, although the little icon is in the system tray.
    I've also here good things about ultravnc: http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net
    They support file transfer which I believe realvnc doesn't. These are both things where you can remotely view the desktop and run programs on the other comp. Or you could just use the built in one on winxp like cheyenne said, assuming all the comps on your network have winxp on them.
    Hope this helped.

Cheyenne and h3r3tic have all the pieces of the puzzle covered...RealVNC is a great tool by the way, we use it at work to support some 3000 users. Comes very much in handy...
    You should be able to use whatever comes with Windows, I believe Windows 2000 and XP both have Terminal Services (Remote Assistance). XP's is just called Remote Desktop.
    But if you want to go ahead with RealVNC, its free...and very handy.
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    If its only on your lan, just check "remote desktop" in System Properties - Remote tab.

Then with the other box you use Programs - Accesories - Communication - Remote Desktop Connection.

Fill in ip, type password and hoppa , easy as that.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby