Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtual Memory

O.K. I have read some info on changing paging file settings and have
    changed the initial size from 768 MB to 512 MB, And max. size from 1536 MB
    to 512MB, After reading this
    Check the Commit Charge Total (CCT), Commit Charge Peak (CCP), and Physical Memory Total (PMT). If the (CCT) seldom gets close to the (PMT) , setting the Page file equal to the amount of installed RAM with no room for expansion might be reasonable, ( for 512 MB of RAM)
    I changed the values then re-booted, opened 8 programs, and used the paint option
    in Digital Image Pro, While doing this i watched the task manager performance values,
    and using the conversion factor of (1024) to divide kB to MB the values where
    CCT: 250000 kB/ 244 MB
    PMT: 523760 kB/ 511 MB
    CCP: 360000 kB/ 351 MB
    With these figures, as the CCT is less than half of the PMT, is it o.k to leave these settings,
    The CPU value while using the paint option was 100% while re-setting back to the origonal
    image. Is this a strain on my CPU, and does the paging file reduction have an effect on it.

Thanks again for your assistance.. TidaLphasE23.............

Windows XP uses hard disk space to emulate RAM and increase the amount of memory available to the operating system and programs. If you see the "not enough virtual memory" error, you need to increase the amount of disk space dedicated to virtual memory. Here's how:

Click Start and then right click on My Computer. Click the Properties command (alternately, you can get there from Start | Control Panel | System).
    In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Performance frame.
    In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Change button in the Virtual Memory frame.
    In the Virtual Memory dialog box, click the drive where your paging file is located. Now double the value in the Maximum size (MB) text box and enter that value. For example, if it says 384, change the value to 768. Put the same value in the Initial size (MB) text box. Click the Set button, then click OK.
    Click OK in the Performance Options dialog box and then click OK in the System Properties dialog box. Restart your computer if you are asked to do so.
    You can also spread your paging file across more than one disk by entering values on different drives. This will speed up the operation of the paging file.

Taken from WinXPNews
    ~Amorphous~

I may be off here, but ....

I used to set the virtual memory settings on older systems because they never handeled it properly ( I used to go by the rule of thumb to set the VM to twice the actual memory )

But I have found the newer OSs to be much better at setting these values, I usually now let the OS set the values.

You said you had the problem while using Digital Image Pro. Image editing will use LARGE amounts of memory.
    I have never used Digital Image Pro, does it have a setting for amount of disk cache to use? I've played with still images that were swapping over 5 gigs during image manipulation.

You also did not say ( or did I miss that somewhere ) how much memory your "454 big block chev" has.

If you are going to do a lot of image editing you should install as much memory as you can and make sure your hard drives have enough room for the programs ( and the OS ) swap files.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

"You said you had the problem while using Digital Image Pro. Image editing will use LARGE amounts of memory.
    I have never used Digital Image Pro, does it have a setting for amount of disk cache to use? I've played with still images that were swapping over 5 gigs during image manipulation.

You also did not say ( or did I miss that somewhere ) how much memory your "454 big block chev" has.

If you are going to do a lot of image editing you should install as much memory as you can and make sure your hard drives have enough room for the programs ( and the OS ) swap files."
    Exactly. Anytime you plan to use digital editing alot, your best bet is to make a huge ass pagefile on a non-system drive (your fastest drive if possible). Photoshop will reccomend this when you install it. Photo editing programs will load the entire image into VM if possible to avoid having to process the image in pieces. Any time you rotate,filter,crop etc, its going to chew up serious memory. This is normal for this kind of app its just one of those memory intensive things. The program itself may have its own pagefile you may be able to adjust as well if the problem persists. I reccomend running your image apps without any other apps to avoid straining your memory. As far as a long term effect I dont think it will harm your machine in the slightest it just uses poop loads of memory for digital editing, especially with high quality images.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

How can i change the DWORD value to adjust my browser settings ??
    If the dword setting isn't there, right click on the parent key and select "new"
    and create it.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thanks rcgreen, I created a new DWORD value in the registry:
    HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings.
    How can i tell if this has an effect on the connections to the web server?
    Why was the DWORD not there, when previously i had changed it's value ?
    Thanks again for your tips. cheers. TidaLphasE23.....