Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory

G'dy all, I have a question regarding virtual memory. I got a pop up message
    saying " Windows Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low.... Your system is low on
    virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file.
    During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied".

What would cause this, as i havn't got that many programs on my p/c ??
    Where can i adjust virtual memory settings or see what the current levels are ??

Last month, I re-installed my o/s, and did not delete the previous partition, just did
    a fresh install. I only realized this after seeing previous programs in (program files)
    Could this have an effect on my memory useage ?? If so, how would i go about deleting
    these previous programs ??

I have also tried to adjust my browser settings to enable more connections to the one
    server. I have gone to HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    InternetSettings. And looked for the DWORD "MaxConnectionsPerServer" and it is not there
    I have done this tweak previously and don't understand why it isn't there now. Any suggest-
    -ions would be appreciated greatly regarding this and my other questions. Thanks again..
    TidaLphasE23..........

what os are you running windows xx ???
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files

oooops Sorry forgot to mention....... XP PRO 512 meg ram.

Virtual Memory is a sector(s) of your hard drive that windows will use as a kind of virtual RAM.

Obviously this is slower that physical RAM and does not store as much data, you can however change how much HDD space that windows uses for VM.

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open System in Control Panel.
    On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
    On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
    Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
    Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
    If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

Notes

To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System managed size.
    For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system. Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.
    To delete a paging file, set both initial size and maximum size to zero, or click No paging file. Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not disable or delete the paging file.

Nokia...did u come up with this answer yourself or did u look it up somewhere. If u looked it up, please post where u got the information from. If you came up with it yourself, good job.

Tidal, a good way to keep avoid getting that message is also to close unused programs and processes. press ctr alt delete and see how many processes you're running. Are u usually playing a game when the message comes up? Also, run spybot Search&Destroy to look for spyware which use a lot of memory. weatherbug is one of them. 512Meg is plenty...thats how much I have on my comp and the only time I get the message is when I have kazaa running, antivirus doing a full scan and while playing a game a the same time. As a side note, even if the spybot wont help your situation its always good to keep your system clean of garbage.
    \"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.\" (Sign hanging in Einstein\'s office at Princeton)

there is a quicker way to get to system properties right click my computer and click properties... it really does help if you have to do something to each indivdual computer in a whole network though I doubt it I just thought it is something worth knowing...
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files

Thanks all for the info/ tips, It's the first time i have had this message,
    I was using Digital Image Pro, messing with some photos, so it must be
    sucking some ram using it. I have Spybot and Adaware + Norton 2004, which i
    run every second day or so. Would having the undeleted partition have an effect
    on performance ?? How can i change the DWORD value to adjust my browser settings ??
    Thanks all again for your time in responding... TidaLphasE23.........

There is an even quicker way that that Cobra, Press, WIN + Pause/Break together!!! ;-p

Tidal -
    If you started having problems only AFTER reinstalling your OS without deleting the previous partition, why not reinstall again and remember to delete all your partitions this time? As for the 'missing DWORD', can't you enter a new MaxConnectionsPerServer DWORD and set the value accordingly? I don't have much experience with XP but I didn't think MS did away with the Registry Editor - be sure to backup your data before making any changes. On the 'reappearing programs', get a good registry cleaner. I'd recommend the one I use but unfortunately it isn't compatible with XP. I could do some searching if you like . . . Better still - if reinstalling isn't too much of a hassle - I would go that route since the bugs in your system most likely stem from not deleting your partitions during the earlier reinstallation.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . .

While cruising . . . I found a web site you may want to check out: http://www.theeldergeek.com/
    Apparently this guy knows his way around an XP OS. You may find something useful there.

Good Luck!

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

May be this one can help us to understand what virtual memory is :

Virtual memory is a common part of most operating systems on desktop computers. It has become so common because it provides a big benefit for users at a very low cost.

In this edition of HowStuffWorks, you will learn exactly what virtual memory is, what your computer uses it for and how to configure it on your own machine to achieve optimal performance.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory.htm