Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot!!!

Question Hot!!!

Sometimes i notice that my computer gets really hot. i can feel the heat coming from the computer when im using my mouse sometimes. any suggestions?
    I AM FROM CANADA.....AND THEY THINK I AM SLOW EH!

When you use your mouse? It only gets hot when you use your mouse? Check to make sure your power supply fan(s) are running and if your computer dosent already have one, buy and install a CPU cooling fan. Other than that you could set up a house fan to blow on your box.
    --Kristoph

Put a bag of ice cubes in it.

LOL, I think that would do more harm than good. Don't do that 010101010110. Bad idea!
    --Kristoph

Yes, they do get pretty hot. I had a couple of them running contstantly during the winter and keeping my room at a temp of 70-80 degrees.

On thing that I make sure of is to have plenty of fans running.

Most manufacturer PCs only send with 1 case fan, the CPU/Heatsink/fan and the fan that cools the power supply. You can pickup extra fans pretty cheap. Inbetween $5.00 and $20.00 depending on size, and how quiet they will be.

You can use a program to check out the temp you are running.

motherboard montior is one that I've used.

another is aida32 . It will give you more than just the temp... it'll give you EVERYTHING that you can dream about your PC.

You can also boot into the bios to find out your fan speeds and tempurature for most PCs.

Today's chip sets run hot and that's why all CPU's have fans. Make sure that:
    1- Your CPU is not obstructed and has space around the back, sides and top.
    2- Your CPU should be kept in the best dust free location you can offer it. Putting it on the floor on a rug, for example, is not an ideal place.
    3- If you have had your computer for some time and have never had a reason to open it, you may want to do this to check for dust/dirt. Excessive dust can clog vents and adhere to circuit components which in turn causes the operating tempertures to rise. Clean out all of the dust you can find, but be careful not to damage components or loosen connectors. BEFORE CLEANING, DISCONNECT ALL POWER.

Keeping the dust down and making sure your CPU gets good ventilation will assure the operating temperature is kept where it should be. Feeling warm air coming out of your CPU is not uncommon and should be expected. If the chassis sides or top are very warm to the touch, you should check the above items.
    Rueful Rogue

Is it by chance an optical mouse (some of the *very* early ones ran hot. if not make sure there isn't a short in the mouse it shouldn't be running hot. As for the computer, make sure of proper ventalation and you may want to get some canned air and dust out the insides
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by Red_Asphalt
    When you use your mouse? It only gets hot when you use your mouse?
    not when i use my mouse. i can fell the heat coming off the CPU because my mouse sits on a pull out tray that is over my CPU and i can feel a lot of heat sometimes.
    i do have another fan that i pulled out of another CPU but how would i install it?

Originally posted here by bballad
    Is it by chance an optical mouse (some of the *very* early ones ran hot. if not make sure there isn't a short in the mouse it shouldn't be running hot. As for the computer, make sure of proper ventalation and you may want to get some canned air and dust out the insides
    its not the mouse its the CPU and its a pretty new optical mouse(got it in April 2003)
    I AM FROM CANADA.....AND THEY THINK I AM SLOW EH!

Remove the case and point a small fan directly at the motherboard. That'll fix all your cooling needs.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

missunderstood...humm are you overclocking?, If not I would lean towards dust/not enough ventalation near the system. Dose the fan you have have a standared connector t ohook onto the powersupply or dose it connect t othe MB?
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?