Holy Phreakers - Electronic Warfare
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Phreakers - Electronic Warfare

Unhappy Holy Phreakers - Electronic Warfare

In the past I have made a number of posts in this forum on the subject of a bizarre case of telephone harassment. I noted that the harasser was able to make phone-related sounds (not rings, exactly) even when the handset was disconnected, at odd hours in the morning, depriving me of sleep. This person got my unlisted phone number and was able to mask her own number so that traces turned up false readings. Mostly these were one ring calls, which do not show up on caller ID, but also hang-up calls that showed "out of area" on caller ID - a moot point since the traces are no good.

I went to the police, had numerous conversations with my annoyance call bureau, and sought legal counsel. The upshot of all that was, that because I didn't know the person't last name, the phone records could not be subpoened. Laws tend to favor the caller. The one limitation I observed on this person's ability to reach me was that when I was online (I had dialup then) I never heard any phone-related sounds. So I figured if I got rid of the telephone, that would be the end of the problem. I tried setting my system to stay online for 999 minutes, to leave it on all night, but it disconnects after about 40 minutes of inactivity.

I was interested in having a cell phone anyway, so I made the switch from dialup to cable and got rid of my land line and removed the telephone from my apartment. Sad to say, this morning I was awakened by the familiar one "ring," a short burst of sound about one-quarter to one-third the volume of a regular ring, but still sufficient to wake me up.

What on earth piece of equipment can do this??? There is no evidence that my apartment was broken into and a bug planted to receive signals from a radio transmitter. Estimates to sweep my digs for bugs range up to US$450, and the device itself costs US$3,000 - a bit steep for my budget. And what if a search turns up no bug? The sound comes from the same side of the room as the phone jack.

One of you dark lords and mistresses out there knows something about this forbidden world of spy equipment and electronic warfare. I did nothing to deserve this punishment. Years ago I made the mistake of befriending the wrong person.

I need your help.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Wow. Pretty scary stuff.

Have you talked to the phone company about the jack? Perhaps get them in or even rip out the wall area around the jack and look yourself.

I'd also ask about the computer being disconnected. What kind of connection do you have? Do you access your phone (cell and land line) online? What Operating System are you using?

Some cell phones have their rings start soft and then increase the tone. That may be the case with yours and it might be worthwhile looking through the manual or talking with the cell phone company.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

You must have given your new contact to one of your "friends"...........they have given it to him/her?

Get yourself a new mobile (cellnet) phone. Issue the number one by one .....wait a week between each one...when you get the bite you will know the traitor? Start with people of your own age who want to go to bed with the perp?

DO NOT go to your local gunstore...............

Good luck

A little know fact about "bugs" is that they all t/x using the Frequency Modulation part of the spectrum, a cheap but not always conclusive way to search for most regular types of "bug" is to turn on your radio and tune it to around to 90-103 fm, then you can either turn your tv on or play a song not too loud but loud enough to hear it on your radio, then VERY VERY slowly start tuning your radio from the 90 range to 103, this might have changed since my day so you might want to consider starting at the beginning of the FM range and finishing at the end.

What you are tying to do is see if you can hear what ever song you are playing coming out of your stereo, if you do then you know that something is t/x ing sounds out of your appartment.

If you do find you have a "bug" leave your radio on the frequency it is on and move the source of your music around the room, when you hear it getting louder you know you are getting closer to your "bug".

You can try pulling your room apart and look for it your self but a r/x ing "bug" can be about 0.3 cm big, a t/x ing "bug" can be the same size however keep in mind it will need a speaker to make the noise, you can gauge how big this may be yourself by the quality and volume of the noise it is making.

However all of these will need a power supply, the easiest and cheapestway is to tap into you house mains supply, if this is the case and you posess a Multi-meter you can test all your cables/ plug sockets whilst playing a cd and see if there is any fluxuations or dropped in you voltage. ( A favourite method is to use a phone line for power!!!)

If they cant tap into your building power they will need a battery, this could aid you if you try to look for it yourself, look for a battery about half the size of a watch battery!

If you want to know how to go about searching a room for something like this PM me and we can set up a chat room or something and I will talk you through the very lenghty prosess!

Good Luck!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Cant you set your phone to scan/listen in on different frequencies? Also, a radio scanner would probably better, although more expensive than your radio. As for tracing it, cant you send a query(electronic) back down the line. When it rings, pick up the phone, but instead of talking, send a frequency that notifies you at every relay/end of the road that it hits and where it is? Or use your modem to try to trace, even if you dont get the beep, it should be able to monitor incoming/attempted incoming calls.

Erm.. no, on all accounts im afraid!

Damn, at least I have a good imagination

LOL

Banned
    If you are concerned about bugs in your place there are two options:

1. the bug has a physical data line (highly unlikely and easy to find)
    2. the bug is wireless (highly likely, almost as easy to find)

You have prolly received spam recently for a keychain device that scans for hidden cameras and bugs for like $60. Oddly enough these work quite well, at least they should. This device works much like I radar detector and is made up of merely a diode and antenna... very simple design, maybe $2 in parts and is highly directional.

This also works on newer bugs and even spread spectrum as it just scans for nearly all RF activity. You will need to go through your place and turn stuff off one by one (you'll be amazed at how noisy your computer is for example) until you've turned everything off and are left with only a few blips, investigate those by hand. Some may be power couplings, some may be your neighbor's TV/cordless phone base or even a thicker spot in the wiring... but if there is a bug, you will very likely find it this way.

catch

Phone Bugging and more...

I am not so sure about how to find wire taps, but here is a tutorial on the net that looks useful.
    http://www.templesecurity.com/count-help.htm
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"