Client Management Tool

Thread: Client Management Tool

GreekGoddess

Client Management Tool

Here is a project that I've been working on for a while off and on for personal use, but I was thinking, on completion, of sharing it. It's a web developer client management tool to store information about clients and projects.

Features already in the works:

Addresses/Contact Information (On and Offline)

Content Worksheet DB so you can easily transfer your client's preferences into the program.

Agreement/Contract Form Uploads so you can keep track of what has been filled out, and what hasn't under the client overview. Plus, it gives you added protection of having duplicates.

Past Projects/Current Projects with a feature to toggle projects on and off, especially useful for site updates.

Automatic Update in Client Profile/Development Management Screen where you can set a time for a contract to be renewed (ie. updates) from the Client Profile and it will show up on that specified date as a reminder not only in your Client overview, but your Development Management overview.

Configurable Site Calculation System based on your input values, with blank input fields for your own special services.

Client Notebook Add, edit, review, and remove notes pertaining to your project. Anything from progress, where you left off, whatever...completely unique to each project.

Printouts Pick and choose what information you'd like to print out.

Export/Backup

As developers, if you were to use a program such as this, what other features would you like to see? What features do you see that you don't like?

Any input would be great. :P (This is probably one of the largest projects I've taken on and some of it has been nightmarish.)

Thanks in advance.

Very coincidental that you wrote about this, I am in the process of preparing to start creating my own cms, so it is exciting that you wrote. If I can think of anymore useful features, I will sure post them.

First, a few questoins.

-Are you using php? If not, what?
    -Where do you go to learn more about how to do this? Any usefull websites besides AO?
    -What was your motivation?
    -How long has it taken you?
    -What are you planning on doing with it when you are done, besides releasing it? Are you going to impliment it yourself?

Thanks.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Nice GG.

A major major thing that you should consider adding is an addition for group developement.

Under each project have a system that allows multiple people to keep track of a single project. I would imagine allowing each developer to have their own login to the system, and allow them to add a file to the global project list, perhaps with a note explaining what the file does and where it is included etc.

There could be two parts.

First part would be for the planning process. Where you simply add files to a planning list. You could also have a database schema list in there also, where each developer in the group could add something to the DB scema for that project.

Then in the second part, once the list is finalized, you could allow a developer to go into the file list, and mark themselves working on that file. This way everyone knows who is working on what, and what is done and what isn't. Once a developer finishes a file, they mark it done, and can "check out" the next one to complete.

Ask and ye shall recieve

PS. If you don't feel like doing it, I will as soon as I get some time (6 or 7 months from now) and I'll release it to you under the GPL for integration.

Good luck, let me know if there is anything I can help with.

xmadd

You could even program a version management system into this.

GreekGoddess
    -Are you using php? If not, what?
    Actually, this is a desktop application I'm developing in VB. Future plans hope for integration into my client management section of my site so I can easily upload and download information both ways and have it all synched. The client management section of my site is ASP. If you check out http://www.digitaldeviation.net you can already see the login box ready to go...doesn't do anything at all right now.

-Where do you go to learn more about how to do this? Any usefull websites besides AO?
    I've been spending a lot of time on Microsoft.com, devx.com, and a couple of other awesome sites I will post later.

-What was your motivation?
    I've seen user management on development sites, but not like this. Maybe there is something out there, but moreover, even if there is...This is something I've created. Not to mention I've learned so much already that the knowledge itself is invaluable.

-How long has it taken you?
    So far, I've invested 4 months in the development of the site section and building the shell of the actual program. Integration with all the features is going to be the final finishing process, that's why I'm posting now, so if there's important features I might have bypassed, I want to get them in there, or I'm going to be bashing my head on my desk post-integration.

-What are you planning on doing with it when you are done, besides releasing it? Are you going to impliment it yourself?
    I'm going to use it for my website mainly. I'll likely release both parts and have a special section dedicated to it. I use so many things distributed under the GPL that if I don't give back every once in a while, I feel rude.

A major major thing that you should consider adding is an addition for group developement.

Under each project have a system that allows multiple people to keep track of a single project. I would imagine allowing each developer to have their own login to the system, and allow them to add a file to the global project list, perhaps with a note explaining what the file does and where it is included etc.

There could be two parts.

First part would be for the planning process. Where you simply add files to a planning list. You could also have a database schema list in there also, where each developer in the group could add something to the DB scema for that project.

Then in the second part, once the list is finalized, you could allow a developer to go into the file list, and mark themselves working on that file. This way everyone knows who is working on what, and what is done and what isn't. Once a developer finishes a file, they mark it done, and can "check out" the next one to complete.
    This is a major part of the web system, although I'm currently the only designer/dev there. I've talked to Jack (DrunkOnDuvel) about joining and designing together, in which this system would be most helpful. Not to mention to get the actual desktop application running and have all the information there without having to log into the site.

I like the version management idea. *Adds that to the list*

And if I need any help, I'll be sure to ask you, xmadd, even if it's just collaboration.

My secret project is out!!!

Flash M0nkey
    just a small idea - with the group development it might be worth while having some way in which the different developers can mark progress of a certain file - so when they mark that they are working on file X they can also place like % complete and estimated time remaining like ::: time to completion 2hrs - or something like that
    then have a development overviw for each project which pulls all this data together like :::

total project files : 47
    files completed : 8
    files under development : 24
    estimated time remaining for development files : 4hrs 26mins
    files awaiting development : 15

so both the designers and the client can see how the development is progressing

v_Ln

Hmm, VB/ASP..., that's too bad, you piqued my interest..., but I do most things on my Mac..., though I do have PCs at my disposal.

It sounds like an interesting project though GG, I like the look of the index on digitaldeviation, it looks very corporate tech. But I was worried that you might have taken down you links subdomain, thank goodness you didn't...

Keep me posted, 'cause it sounds like an interesting system.
    Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel