Thread: Patch Question.

Question Patch Question.

Does anyone know where I can get a fairly comprehensive list of Windows XP updates/patches for download so when I reinstall I can quickly patch my machine. I have SP1 on disk, but I have been unable to find most of the others. And if I do get some of the other patches on disk won’t I have to install them in a certain order?

Thanks.

Thanks for the link, that's great!

I just have a question though. The other guy said that (SP1a) includes the latest patches except for the latest 5 (I think that’s what he said). However, when I compared the (SP1) I have on disk to the new (SP1a) I find that (SP1a) is substantially smaller:

SP1= 125mb
    SP1a= 1.93mb

I read the documentation where it stated: "Windows XP SP1a is the same as Windows XP SP1 except that the Microsoft virtual machine (VM) is removed in SP1a."

Is VM that huge to where there is such a size difference between the two service packs?

Edit:
    I read the documentation where it stated: "Windows XP SP1a is the same as Windows XP SP1 except that the Microsoft virtual machine (VM) is removed in SP1a."
    Actually that sorta answers the first part of my question, if they are virtually the same except for the fact that VM is removed.

At any rate, could the removal of VM be why SP1a is so much smaller?

Sorry for the confusion.

Usually with each service pack there are two different ways you can install it. You can either use the network installation, or you can install from the complete service pack. With the network installation all you need to start the install process is a small file that then downloads all of the SP components from MS. This is probably what the 1.9mb file is. The other type of install is where you download the complete service pack and then install from there. This would be the 125mb file.