Thread: Windows to LInux (Samba) printing

Windows to LInux (Samba) printing

Hey All,

Heres the deal :

Computer A (WINDOWS XP) : hp office jet 6110 all-in-one printer hooked to it via USB. Shares the printer with all users over the network.

Computer B (RH 9.0) : On same network. Able to connect to Comp A via SAMBA. Can see the office jet but cannot 'communicate' with it. I've got this new linux driver for my specific model but is hard to install when I cant talk to the printer. If anyone has delt with a similar situation don't hesitate to post.

Problem : Comp. B can't print though Comp. A likely due to some SAMBA error (perhaps not). HELP.

Thanks all.

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

I am not sure if this will help, because I am not sure what you did to configure it.

If you have a printer attached to a RH box, and want to print to it from a Windoz box, you would set up the printer to be shared through SAMBA. ( SAMBA using the SMB or Server Message Block protocol ).

But you have a printer on a Windoz box which you want to share with RH. I believe this should be set up through CUPS ( Common UNIX Printing System ) which is now the default on RH 9.

Did you check out section " 27.4. Adding a Samba (SMB) Printer " of the " Red Hat Linux Customization Guide " ?

( if you did not install the documentation it can be found here at Red Hat )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes, this is correct. You need to use CUPS, however, there is a small trick to setting this up. You need to do two things in order to begin using the printer. I *think* I had to set LPR to localhost, then do the CUPS config. Then again, I was using RH 7.1 at the time so things may have changed.

I wrote a doc on this about 2 years ago. I'll dig it out and post it for you.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

CUPS

Yes, use CUPS(common Unix printing system). I had the same setup sometime past and used CUPS, it may require some expermentation and adjustments,. but it will do what you want.

I'm having the same problem with nearly the same printer and setup. If you fix it please post how you did it. Also could someone post some links to few good tutorials on the subject of setting up samba i can seem to do it

Couldn't you just go to LinNeighborhood (the network manager for Mandrake, I don't know what redhat has) and just mount the shared printer?

If not, CUPS should scan the network for all available printer shares. Then the config wizard should more or less fix everything else.

Add on:

On another forum I was on a friend told me to add this

Cups has an http interface. First ensure that the cups daemon is running by becoming root, and typing cupsd. Then you can go here: localhost:631/admin and configure printers to your hearts conten
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-