Thread: Booting directly in to DOS

Post Booting directly in to DOS

I have a very old laptop (95 or 96?), and this thing is a piece of garbage. you only have about 20 minutes of power...Does anyone know anyway to boot directly in to dos prompt, skipping windows totally? thanks

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which Windows is installed?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    In win 98se/ME

Hit F8 repeatedly until the boot options screen appears. Choose DOS prompt only

In win2k.. same thing.

In winXP.. You have to insert the windows xp install disk and go thru the recovery console.

For win98/me/2k You could also put a boot disc in.

its Windows 95, and i don't have a boot ddisk, this laptop came preloaded....also, it has no CD-ROM drive, just a diskette drive

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    That means DoS 6.2 should be under there somewhere.

Try F4 as it's booting (just after the BIOS test).

You may want to look at this as well: http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

look for a file called msdos.sys

there should be a line in there (something like BootBlah=1)

i'm not sure (haven't been on a non-NT box in sooo long...)

Change this Boot value to 0 and it should go into Dos...

--------------------
    ok, i found a page that explains all this...
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-021

BootGUI={Boolean}
    Default: 1
    Purpose: A setting of 1 forces the loading of the GUI interface. A setting of 0 disables the loading of the GUI interface.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...