I need to monitor traffic o na CISCO 4006

Thread: I need to monitor traffic o na CISCO 4006

I need to monitor traffic o na CISCO 4006

but I have no idea how. I have a switch that I think is getting slammed but I do not know how to monitor the ports. I am logged into the switch. Does anyone have a turotial or any help at all on monitoring traffic on individual ports on this switch? How do I generate a report?

This is just is a test lab setup so it is not connected to the internet. My friend who is the guru is not here and I need to find out why traffic is getting dropped on certain ports.

TIA and please forgive my lack of knowlegde and terminology here. I am new to this and I want to learn.

Thanks!!!

Snow

if you have the cisco smart net or what ever its called, call tech suport. I hear that its the best thing sence sliced bread.
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You need to configure a management port. If you search the Cisco site with that phrase, you'll see tons of docs on how to do this.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks guys! That did the trick! Your help is very much appreciated.

Snow

not sure if this post is a day late and a dollar short, but if you're looking to monitor traffic on your 4006, check out MRTG .

It will graph your bandwidth utilization and give you a website with pretty pictures.

You could also plug a sniffer into one of the ports and enable SPAN (Port Mirroring) so your sniffer can capture the traffic on those other ports.
    t.e.k.n.o.