Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shutting down a remote computer with dos.

Shutting down a remote computer with dos.

I want to use the dos command

shutdown -m computer -s

so I don't have to walk into my living room to turn of the family computer before going to sleep. When I run this command, the prompt says "access is denied." How do I get this access? I'm on a three computer LAN, all XP.
    0ri0n
    With what weapons World War Three will be fought, I do not know, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -Albert Einstein

your local account on the box that you're currently using should be added to the administrators group of the box that you're attempting to shut down. this is assuming that you're running 2k/xp and that you've got a workgroup configuration. that's my guess though

Banned
    Why dont u allow Remote Access from your other computer so you can just connect and click Shut Down without going to it ...

Can anyone explain how to do this??
    0ri0n
    With what weapons World War Three will be fought, I do not know, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -Albert Einstein

Banned
    yes of course , i'll explain it short and simple

http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020526a.htm

Elite Hacker
    I think I've got it. Hopefully your under winXP pro.
    Go to administrative tools>local security policy
    In the window go to Local policies>user rights assignment>Shutdown the system
    right click, go to properties.
    click add user or group.
    when you click the locations button you should see your workgroup, click on it then click ok.
    Now click on advanced>Find now.
    you should see a list of computers in your workgroup. Choose the ones you want to be able to shutdown the computer remotely then click ok>ok>apply>ok.
    I got an error saying it was unable to save to the database which is why this didn't work for me. hopefully it works for you though. You may have to reboot for this to take affect.
    Good luck.

Arighty, thanks for the help guys.
    0ri0n

Sorry for the double post, couldn't edit the first one. I got what heretic said to work on my friends computer who's using professional, but I' only using home, and in administrative tools I don't have a local policies folder. Can anyone translate to Xp home for me? ThANKS
    0ri0n
    -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Ok... something about this bugs me.

You are not using DOS! You are using a DOS style command interrupter on Windows XP. If you don't believe me type:

ver

And see what it tells you. DOS has been gone since Win95 and was never a part of the NT line.

I know this is nitpicky, just like how the term "hardware firewall" bugs me as well... but computers are of an exact nature, therefore it is important to use exact language when discussing them. This way everyone knows what everyone else is talking about.

In the end it is better for everyone.

catch

PS. You can also configure the system to shutdown

if current_time > X
    and system_has_been_idle > Y

This might be more effective for shutting down at bedtime, but of course lacks the flexibility of shutting down whenever.

Elite Hacker
    I don't know if you can do the same thing on home. It lacks in the amount of tools compared to XP pro. I didn't even think they had an administrative tools. Try typing this at the run prompt:
    gpedit.msc. It probably won't do anything though. If it works go under windows settings>local security policy and do the same thing that I told you. I'm glad it worked for your friend, mine wouldn't save the settings, I think I have some other settings keeping me from being able to let remote users shutdown the comp. You can try googling winXP Home remote shutdown. I found the above with google.
    Good luck.

p.s. Tedob1 told me about a tool from systernals called psshutdown that will let you specify a user name and password. that should get you past the access denied. i'm going to try it today. here's the link
    http://www.systernals.com/ntw2k/free...shutdown.shtml

Cool Alternative solution

0ri0n,

If XP Home won't allow you to do what you want, you could look at using something like VNC.

Real VNC

It allows you to remote control a PC or a server nice and easy. I've used it in the past for NT boxes at the other end of the world, and even that was a piece of cake.

(And it's freeware too! Although the authors do take contributions)

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule