Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive Lock

Question Drive Lock

Heloooz every1,

Is there a way to lock a drive under windows XP? I need to do that without using any s/w, and if not, wht about locking the folders? (I know i can lock (password protect) floders under win 2k).
    Thanx in advance

The FACT that people ignore FACTS
    doesnt mean that FACTS are not FACTS

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Do you mean like these:

http://www.pcguardiananti-theft.com/Disk_Drive_Locks/

http://abcusinc.com/ICS-ImageMASSterDriveLock.html

Or do you mean not a 3rd party application but a built-in feature of XP? Like what Lock Folder XP does?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi Gigabite,

I am not too sure what you are trying to achieve. That is, what is your reason for doing this. If you want to lock a drive is it a physical drive or a logical one?

If it is a physical one, I would go for a removeable drive tray. You can get them for about$15, and they have cooling fans to protect the drive. You just take it out and lock it up. Or is it that you want to "deny access" to a particular logical/physical drive whilst the system is in use?

There are a variety of solutions, I am just not sure what your particular requirement is.

Cheers

Well i mean Logical locking, by means of a password for example or just hiding it. I dnt want to use a third party software (as much as possible).
    I hope this is enough information, if u need more (or anything in particular plz let me know).
    Thank you in advance.

So, perhaps using ACL permissions would be the answer?

Microsoft's take on ACLs

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/mosaic/xp/xp_acl/index1.html
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

There is no way to do it the way its done in win 2k?
    password protect a drive or at least the folders ?

And what about win98, can it be done under win98?????

Thank you guys.

You mean like sharing a drive and password protecting it?

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,110663,00.asp

Windows 98 has no default password protection for folders locally. However, you can enable password protection on folders that are shared. IMHO, Windows 98 = no security. You would need a 3rd party tool to ensure things are kept private.

Hi Gigabite,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have just found my XP box (moved house recently ) I will have a look for you tonight (it is just coming up to 14.00hrs right now.....and "duty calls, as they say)

I believe that you can do what you are suggesting, given that XP is based on NT technology, and 2k is actually NT5.

You need to look at workgroups, and their permissions. If a drive is mapped to administrators only, then the casual user will not be able to see it. I will need to start my XP box to check how you do this, but it is similar to Win2k. I am only using XP in "learning mode" at the moment.............most people around here are still on NT4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

ok
    thanx for the links.
    Last question (sorry for giving u guys too much headache), now that there is no escape from third party s/w, which one do u recommend ? and is thereany free ones that i can download and use ????????

Hi Gigabite,

I think slow, type slow

MsMittens has given you the answer re. Win98 (IMHO).........it is a single workstation, domestic OS it has no security per se.

You will have to use 3rd. party stuff.....and IT STILL WILL NOT BE SECURE

I am sorry, but if you are not NT derivative or *nix, you are exposed. If you think about it, DOS has absolutely no security at all?

Cheers