Thread: Win2k SP4 and the new 041 - 045 patches

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Win2k SP4 and the new 041 - 045 patches

OK, I know that I have seen this reported on NTBUGTRAQ but I wanted to be sure that others here see it as well.

OS
    ===========
    Win2k Server SP4 all updates except for MS03-041, 042, 043, 044 and 045

ISSUE
    ===========
    When using either Auto Update or Windows Update, installation of MS03-041 and MS03-045 fail.

WORK-AROUND
    ===========
    Install each one separately

ADDITIONAL ISSUES
    ===========
    After the installation and reboot, Distributed File System service failed and the Application log became corrupt. To recover, I had to clear and recreate the Application log and I had to start DFS manually.

ADDITIONAL CASES
    ===========
    This behavior has been seen in about 4 different servers thus far. The problem is that the results are different on all of them. On one box, a core dump occured, on another, it hung at shutdown and startup. The only known similarities between all these boxes is SP4. I have reported this to Microsoft via the 866-PC-SAFETY phone number. For those who don't know, MS gives FREE support for those who are experiencing issues with security updates to their OSes.

Anyway, be aware that issues do exist with this new set of patches. I wouldn't be surprised if we see updates to the updates soon.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Interesting, I had the same problem yesterday using HFNetChkPro, couldnt get 041-045 to install. Thanks for the info that was really pissing me off.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    ADDITIONAL INFO:
    ==================
    If anyone is running WebSense 5.0.1, you will experience problems if you attempt to apply these patches on a system that matches the config above. They blow up the libnet functionality. WebSense is aware of the issue (I opened a ticket).

*sigh*
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

That's why I NEVER use auto-update.