Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Racism (read with caution)

There is also (just to name a few):

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
    Black chambers of commerce, seperate from the established Chamber of Commerce in most cities.
    National Society of Black Engineers
    National Association of Black Journalists
    Black Police Association
    And the black coaches in the NFL just formed some kind of association.

It's a consiracy!!!

Just kidding
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Racism is learned behaviour.

No one is born a racist.

The real question is how do we stop teaching our children to be racsist, because society has done a piss poor job of it so far.
    steve.milner

You hit the nail on the head

A child does not know color until it taught to them. It's what society is teaching and points out.Racism is still out there and it will never go way as long as it being taught
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    My premise is that Racism is learned behaviour, since we are not born racist. I only have to look at my 22 month old son playing at nursery to see that is true.

If this is correct how can we prevent the behaviour from being learned. First we must examine where it is being learned from.

1) Home Environment

Racist parents are more likely to raise racist ofspring. I beleive this is the single largest source for learning racist behaviour. It is also the hardest to change.

However I feel that while it is impossible to legislate or otherwise to stop parents expressing racist views (doing so will only make the views more extreme) something can be done. Firstly do not try to stop parents expressing their views, but offer an alternative view in as many other areas of life as possible. I see the TV and Console/Computer games as being an excellent vehicle for the alternative messages. The messages don't have to be blatant, but simply reflect the truth about people.

2) School Environment.

Do not allow teachers or others with authority to express racist opinions - Legislation here works well. Do not allow positive discrimination to occur, since that is simple racism by another route.

Modify racist behaviour already present in children by associating behaviours with consequenses. EG Racist behaviour = essay on Martin Luther King etc.

3) Work Environment

Do not allow employers with authority to express racist opinions - Legislation also works well here . Do not allow positive discrimination to occur.

Develop a culture which ignores racist jokes etc. and does not tolerate directed racist abuse. Use disciplinary procedures to remove problem individuals.

4) Social Environment.

This is another difficult area, where legislation is doomed to fail. Provide alternative viewpoints using a variety of vehicles - Beer mat messages, messages on beer bottles etc. But don't go overboard otherwise a backlash will develop. Mix other useful messages too so as not to make it anti racist targeted.

This wont stop racism right now, or even within a generation or two. But so far what we have done hasn't worked and the right wing politicians with racist messages seem to be gaining in popularity in Europe at the moment.

Just my 2c

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Everyone is racist to some degree. If they say different they lie. It may not be in a harmful way, but they may not want to see your white/black ass humpin' they're daughter. I don't have a problem with that, my grandmother was handed a baby of like color and I would like the same. I've spoke at length about it with my friends (black) and they are of the same opinion. I do have an aunt that married a Blackman, and have a breed cousin who teaches for Miami's football department last I heard. He's a great kid, better than I ever was.

If you work next to me you can drink from my canteen, beyond that I don't owe you sh*t, aside from tolerance. I personally am tired of hearing about what whitey owes the Blackman, or that I should feel a certain way because of what happened before my time. Bullsh*t.

The question I ask to all the Blacks that have a b*tch with whitey is... How many coats, shoes, hats, gloves, books, treats, and toys have you bought a poor black child you don't know ? If it isn't as much as I have...STFU. I can show you many underprivileged kids from at least 4 different schools and thank you notes to go with them, from kids, teachers and admin. alike. whom myself and my girlfriend have looked out for, 75%+ Black. My girlfriend is a teacher in the "Ghetto" schools, she was assaulted by a black child last month. Her brother and sister were killed 3or 4 yrs. ago by a Blackman pulling an O.J. in Texas, although he killed himself also.

So if I follow the current black mind set, him and his owe me something. Do Recon his crib ? pick out the ones that he loves and cares about, and exact my "reparations".

It is not they're parent(s) who tell them they are going to go to college, and the money is there for them, all of them who apply themselves, it's my girl. Hell not even the black teachers want these black kids, very telling.

The absolute worst is when a black says "Blacks cannot be racist by definition" ...lol, check out the blacks around the growing Latino communities. they're the worst. As far as racists in the schools ….Blacks are the worst in language and deed, I get briefed every day around 3:45 from the trenches. So that one won’t wash either.

The African Blackman is the largest "physical" enslaver on the planet TODAY. They don't enslave their enemies, conquered peoples, or a defeated army. They enslave children, because some poor hungry soul(the father) stole his chicken to feed his family. Now he must hand his daughter over. Or children soldiers (boys and girls) whom they've kidnapped to carry arms and munitions and are forced to fight. Most are forced to kill the unwilling in ways Hollywood couldn't imagine, let alone show. In order to bring them closer to the point of no return.

Thru-out history the one nation had conquered another, when the Indian wanted his neighbors hunting lands or resources, he attacked, killed, enslaved and displaced his enemy to secure his hold on the conquered and their land. Same with the yellow man, the white, black or brown. It is men. My forefathers came to America during the war for Independence as Hungarian mercenaries under French command. And returned to fight during the Civil war, making this our home since. My family has shed blood for the blackman and never enslaved one, what more do we owe them ? At the point where your "reparations" touch my pocket, you can count on a fight.

I find it hard to believe that a boat full of crackers yanked up on the beach and started hauling off Africans, there’s too much fight in them.
    More like the coastal Africans kingdoms who had traded with whitey, and decided to aid them, to defeat their enemies, conquer their lands, and displace them. while "getting payed". That’s men.
    And if your here as a black man chances are you come from a defeated African Nation/Tribe, which was handed over to whitey by your African "brothers".

As far as work goes, I'm an Op engineer with #18 in Cleveland, and know for a fact that contractor will call for "a black" , "a black male/female", a female, or just an Operator. So as a white man I'd say you got things pretty evened up where I'm at. I remember the test for pre-apprenticeship, when they told us that. I sounded off, …it should be the best man for the job, and we should start a Caucasian college fund. Out of the 50+ blacks there not one response. And I've found as a man, that if anyone is to blame for my situation it is me, I am a man and have no need for excuses. For those who do, I offer a box of Puffs-Plus and a 5:00am alarm setting.

I grew up poor in L.A. (Lower Akron) Paris Ave. No heat, No water(except what we hauled in buckets), No clothes to speak of, Duct taped shoes(Tough when it starts to get cold and wet), No electricity( 'cept 3 months a year and only before we went to bed ...heating blankets) I used to go down to Hi-Val gas station to get warm and dry my shoes on the potato chip rack.
    I left my fathers house when I was 14, and only went back to save his ass from foreclosure.
    So I know what it is to not have sh*t. That is why I do what I can for the children today, whatever color. I do make them agree to do what I did for them, for a child they see in need when they start making the big money.

I must also say that the best man I currently know on the planet is black. He taught me to Operate the old iron, took me under his wing, and looked out for me. He has only one vice...women, but he's married. He's only ever drank once, a half a beer or so, there was nothing else to drink at the time and a neighbor offered it to him. Bought his parents a new home. Never been in a fight. Takes care of his children and grandchildren.

This man grew up in conditions in Alabama we only read about, and today’s kids can’t imagine. So if an argument brings environment into play, to excuse any Behavior, I ain’t buyin’.

There was one time I was driving his new truck back from a gig in southern Ohio, and I was speeding, Johnny warned me but...In the end the cop ticketed Johnny and just warned me although it was my fault. When he got back in he showed me the 3 tickets the cop gave him and I got bent and started to get out to bitch out the cop. Johnny did not want it to happen so I listened as I should have the first time. The thing that got me the most is how Johnny shook it off, as if it was, is, and will be forever, at that point I knew I would have never made it as a black man.

The last fight I tried to get in was over a Blackman, I came to replace him on a machine and the Ironworker out of N.Y. started runnin him down because he couldn’t operate the machine that well. I warned him that he was my friend and that if he continued I would take it personally. He had to add one more thing, so…he went back feeling a little less like the man he thought he was.

When I was asked to pick personnel by my boss for the new division, I chose him because he was a hard worker, no other reason. But I still do not want him humpin’ my nieces. So am I racist…yes. Do I give a Blackman a fair shake and treat them as I wish to be treated…yes Do I owe the black race anything…no I don’t.

It surprises my black friends when I say I’m racist, but when we get down to it, they agree everyone is. And while I can see their disappointment in me because they don’t see it in me, I have told them the truth.

Much, like take I didn't have a lavished childhood. I mean I had all the basic needs but nothing more. I am not complaining I am saying no one was there to offer me anything besides my parents (both of which grew up in the ghetto) we are doing fine now. But when I was a kid nope. That is why he have adopted so many children. That is why I have went and paid to live over seas in an orphanage to fix of their livings. Everything from replacing lighbulbs to laying cement. However, it was a cold region and for 2 months straight me and my company chipped ice. 12 hours a day out in the cold chipping ice, so the children could play.

So, I don't feel we owe anyone anything. I see black people working their asses off getting somewhere. I also know blacks who try to live like snoop-dogg. So, I would help a young black child in their schooling but people who say I owe them ain't getting ****. The war ended a long time ago. My blood linge wasn't even here during the civil war, so get over it!

Racism, pointless, retarded, idiotic. Why? SKIN PIGMENTATION, yeah gg logic.

On another note here, the 'african americans' who feel they are supressed, are the ones you always hear about because they are in the media, same with 'whitey', when the officer asks them to get into the back of the car, they yell "RACISM! SUPRESSION! BRUTALITY!", Ofcourse they will try to hush them up, and they are resisting arrest, these are not the average 'african america', but since the media always covers crimes they are the ones more seen. When was the last time you heard a non-conflicting situation on the news covering anyone? See my point?
    Hi.

Ok....

Well, Where do we start.

Well first I am going to definately agree that racism is a learned trait. No on is born racist. Now after that is said.

Why do you think that it is still so strong. Steve hit it on the head with the first one. Parents that are racist are more then likely going to raise racist children.

Now with that said. Task there is a difference between racism and being prejudice you can be prejudice and not Racist, but you can't be racist without being prejudice.

Now Adiz, let me ask you the same thing I was asking earlier. Why do you use colored?

I mean, in all the time I have been alive(Which isn't that long that word is considered to be a more Southern Word.)

Now for those that were talking about Associations, Honestly I feel most of them are full of it. Just another group to complain about, this does include but not limited to the NAACP, NABJ.

Most groups are there just to complain. Just to make something small look bigger.

Adiz I never said that a book will teach you about Racism, I was referring to the fact that you said Racism isn't big anymore. If I mess quoted you sorry. But I thought I saw something to that effect in your Opening statement.

Now Memory, as for BET. I hate that damn channel. It is full of nothing more then you traditional shot of what you think Blacks are suppose to be. I can't stand the fact that you don't see that many educated Blacks on that damn Station. That is the reason that I don't watch TV. That and many other things. I really look at the Outlook of the entire Culture and I see nothing more then a "Fly Living, Nice Clothes, Nice Car, Cool VIEW." I see that and I just say WTF.

It is truly crazy. I mean think about all the different enovations there are, that different Cultures/races have come up with. I am not annoyed because of just black's I am annoyed for the entire ****ing country.

Oh and Adiz you want a little look into American, look at the amount of Congresswomen/Men, politicians, or As RoadClosed pointed out. Look at the amout of Black Coaches, Black Owners. etc.

Come on. To say that it is not, high anymore is a short thought of expression.

We can look in all things. **** let's take a look at music. Eminem, great artist. But even he said it himself "If I wasn't white, I have half these sells" Hum... what does that say to you.

I can go on in all ways. Now for reverse Eminem also had to prove himself twice as much as any black Artist.

I got a question anyone in here ever read the book the Giver. I think they had the right idea when it came to how to keep people from being racist.

hahahahahha
    /me falls on the floor laughing.

Oh well, I don't relish the Idea of continuing this discussion, so I will just try to hold back all my comments.

See I was never talking about just racism towards blacks. I was talking about all racism.

Oh and last, Adiz you said you have a family full of all all ethnicties. But you never said that you had anyone Black.

Sorry...

/me walks out the room, goes and plays Basketball. (I hate Basketball)

Oh we all forgot to even mention stereotypes.

whiz - I agree with most of your comments. However the reason we haven't adopted a black child is because it is hard to do an adoption in the US because the mother can come back for the baby were as overseas (where we adopted from) it is final once you leave the country.

I used the word 'colored' because I felt it was less harsh than black. That is why I put the quotes around it, just to make sure you all understood I don't normally say that, I usually don't even refer to "them" as anything other than a him/her or whatever because I dont like judging a person based on their skin.

So, thats it!

Adiz

Racism has its place, anyone who disagrees is either selling something, plain stubborn, or not living in the real world

I agree racism exists and it wont change so stop whining about it and and try to lessen its effects on society. and yes i agree that the black man uses race as a way to neglect personal responsibility for his own actions. Im not saying all black people do it, but there is a vast majority of them that when faced with a difficult situation will use race as an escape. You dont see a white male get caught stealing a t.v. and blaming it on his race. take it some may but the vast majority will not.

well racism still exists if not in intence form then in other forms. but it exists
    Sometimes realitys are dreams we cannot live in.... (as my bst fren says) [/shadow]