"The World's Most Dangerous Virus"

Thread: "The World's Most Dangerous Virus"

The Iceman Cometh

"The World's Most Dangerous Virus"

Alright, I've read some... uhh... interesting? rants from Michael Robertson (owner of Lindows), but this is absolutely ridiculous. Basically, in the link posted below, he goes off on how Microsoft Office 2003 contains the world's most dangerous virus. Here's the first paragraph, to give you an idea of what he's going off about:

Imagine if a computer virus emerged that secretly attached itself to one of the most popular software programs ever. Imagine if the largest media outlets unwittingly praised this secret pairing, encouraging millions of people to install it. Imagine if none of the major antivirus programs would detect it. Imagine if once installed, it could alter anything on your computer without your consent or knowledge. Imagine if the virus was at the control of a greedy entity that has repeatedly trampled on consumers and smaller companies to advance its corporate agenda. Imagine if it could force everyone who wanted to communicate with you to also carry the virus so it would insidiously spread person to person. Sound like a scary sci-fi plot? It's not science fiction. This week MO3 will be released on the world. Here's how to detect it in your neighborhood and what you can do to protect yourself:
    Find the full rant here: http://www.lindows.com/lindows_micha...ives.php?id=86

AJ

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: "The World's Most Dangerous Virus"

Originally posted here by avdven
    Alright, I've read some... uhh... interesting? rants from Michael Robertson (owner of Lindows), but this is absolutely ridiculous. Basically, in the link posted below, he goes off on how Microsoft Office 2003 contains the world's most dangerous virus. Here's the first paragraph, to give you an idea of what he's going off about:

Find the full rant here: http://www.lindows.com/lindows_micha...ives.php?id=86

AJ
    Okay to call it the worlds most dangerous virus is a little alarmist I agree.

But the meat of the argument is valid.

When O2K came out it wasn't long before we had to upgrade all office users to O2K since it was impossible to default the files save type to O97 and it became easier to upgrade everyone (& the cost that goes with it!!) than to change user behaviour.

Oh, yeah and if you install SP2 for O2K and you haven't got an exchange server to mod the security policies for what attachments are allowed you can kiss any useful file x-fer via email goodbye - So gues what, you either keep up to date (& keep safe) and shell out for Exchange or take the risks.

Do I think this is all deliberate, yes I do! Open office is being given to all new users within our organisation and we will be trialing linux on the desktop soon!

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

my goodness i read the article "Fact Sheet On Bill Gates and the Microsoft Corporation " here : http://www.lindows.com/lindows_micha...s.php?id=65#ms
    this remind me of the movie called "antitrust"...it wont be late b4 such a company reaches to that limit for their softwares to keep working on.....

its shamefull the way they work.............
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Another conspiracy theory moron abusing freedom of speech....... The sad thing is that people read this crap and believe that everyone is out to get _them_........

Very sad...... A man who clearly has the intellect to write good English can also be so dense..... The other possibility is that he is being inflammatory..... I vote for the latter but fully understand the kind of idiot the world can now breed......

"No matter how idiot proof you make something - the world will breed a better idiot".....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides