Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apples and Oranges

Banned
    If you are just using it as a graphical editing station, go with the Mac. it doesn't matter which you are more comfortable with, the graphics progams you will be using essentially work the same regardless of the OS. For graphical editing, the only reasons to ever not go with Mac are:

1. You can't afford one
    2. You can afford an SGI

Neither of these seem to apply to you.

catch

If you want one for speed and power, then I'd go for the new Athlon 64bit processors. However, to get full preformance out of it you will need to have a 64 bit OS. I think Windows has one, bug I'm not sure if its out yet for xp.
    - cheyenne1212

If I am not mistaken the new G5 is a 64bit chip....wait yes it is here....

Apple and IBM jointly developed the PowerPC G5, world’s first 64-bit desktop processor. With two double-precision floating-point units, advanced branch prediction logic and support for symmetric multiprocessing, the PowerPC G5 processor builds on previous PowerPC designs, combining an optimized Velocity Engine with a superscalar, super-pipelined execution core that can execute more than 200 simultaneous in-flight instructions. This high-bandwidth core has over 12 discrete functional units that process massive amounts of instructions in parallel.
    Source

I also believe that the newest mac OS is ready for 64bit chipset. I am a big fan of windows and nix but as long as this doesnt have to join a domain then MAC is definitely the way to go for graphics really good machine too if you want more info about it just go to www.apple.com

good luck
    --spy
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

yeah the G5 is 64 bit, but I dont' think it has as fast of a clock speed as as the AMD does.
    =

/me puts his tail between his legs and moves on

yes you are right it is supposed to be the "fastest" chip out there but the only OS's you can run on it are nix and a beta version of windows so...... hopefully soon, btw its really expensive right now somewhere around 600 for the chip was the last I heard
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

yeah it is expensive, but if you can afford, and really need the speed then it is worth it.

Heres the current prices on it.

ATHLON 64
    3200+ OEM $418
    3200+ RETAIL $453
    FX-51 OEM $774

www.tcwo.com
    =

Banned
    Clock speed is unimportant, the x86 architecture (yes even 64-x86) is anemic garbage.

A greater number of instructions reduces the need for clock cycles, as every instruction is a single stamp.

For example, compare a PA-RISC 8500 @ 440MHz against an AMD Athlon 1.2GHz. The PA-RISC turns out about 10% instructions per second, but nearly 40% increase in floating point instructions per second (arguably the true measure of a CPU) even though it operates at well under half the clock speed of the AMD.

catch

PS. These numbers are from CINT95 & CFP95 as registered with SPEC

My friend is graphic designer (actually another 10 days to graduate) and all her class use mac.
    she have mac 4 laptop with 17 screen i can tell you they are unreal for graphic design.
    good luck with your choice g5 is apparently latest and( by apple) the "fastest" pc at the moment from mac,
    very good choice good luck

You recommend that you just go out and buy a system. Why ? Do we know if it's stand alone or has to be part of a network? His company will be paying for this. Are you employed in IT? If so does your company let you buy what you want with no report's or feedback on your say so? A logical and realistic arguement would be required to jusify any capital expediture for hardware, software, reasons for purchase, benefits to company in terms of increased productivity and cost savings etc
    I will answer all these questions for you all to get a better feel for what I am doing.

Yes, the computer is stand alone, infact, it will be at my house so that I can work on graphics 24/7 you know the time at 2 am when you think of something you want to try!

Yes, I am employed in an IT field and I am more of the computer department head. I have been with the company for 3 years now. So, yes I need to still write a report, still tell them how much money they are going to save. But I have really good friends who make the 'decisions' so if I really want it I can get it.

I will be using the machine for two basic things...Creating Graphics and Creating Movies.

I am new to creating professional looking movies but we will see how that works.

For my graphics program I will be using the newest release of Adobe Photoshop CS I also have my other little programs that I like and are used for cool little side things.

I just really like Macintosh's graphical handling ability and their speed. I worked on a MAC at school and was amazed.

However, with that being said I still would like input on what yall think.

Thanks,
    Adiz

I use my Mac for making movies. Currently I'm using Final Cut Pro 3.0 It's awesome, suposidly FCP 4.0 is much better and comes with programes which eliminate some of the uses for After Affects by Adobe. The one tip I can give u is if your going to be doing Video, make sure you have a seperate drive for all your video files. Working off of one drive, no matter how large, can seriously affect system speed. A external firewire works nice cause you can swap it machine to machine with out much trouble.

DeafLamb

<OFFTOPIC>

If you want one for speed and power, then I'd go for the new Athlon 64bit processors. However, to get full preformance out of it you will need to have a 64 bit OS. I think Windows has one, bug I'm not sure if its out yet for xp.

With the 64bit you'll be able to do twice the work.
    I know that a 64 bit processor requires a 64 bit OS. But... does that mean that any software that is going to be used has to support 64 bit? Or... can you use 32 bit software on a 64 bit system, without the performance gain?

It would make sense to me that the software has to be written to support the 64 bit....

Or is that not true... becaus it is 32x86 or 64x86... so as long as its written for x86, you can use it?

</OFFTOPIC>