Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apples and Oranges

Apples and Oranges

Alrighty folks. The company I am working for wants me to start doing their graphics. I told them, I really don't want to but they like my work so they said they would buy me a machine just for my graphics. So, I told them I would think about it.

I am looking at the new Apple Power MAC G5 with an Apple 20" monitor. This looks like a really nice machine. Has anyone had any experience with it, and if so what was it like. Also, if you don't like it what would you suggest.

Thanks,

Adiz

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Apples and Oranges

Originally posted here by adiz
    Alrighty folks. The company I am working for wants me to start doing their graphics. I told them, I really don't want to but they like my work so they said they would buy me a machine just for my graphics. So, I told them I would think about it.
    I am looking at the new Apple Power MAC G5 with an Apple 20" monitor. This looks like a really nice machine. Has anyone had any experience with it, and if so what was it like. Also, if you don't like it what would you suggest.
    Thanks,
    Adiz
    have never used a mac, but if your company are asking, nay begging you to do the graphics, surely it it up to you to decide which system is best suited to your needs and the needs of the company. my advice . try to get a mac system on loan from a local dealer and compare with a PC with the same spec re software.Tell them it will take some time to compare both systems from a hardware / software point of view, also time required to prepare and submit your report. the ball's in your court

Banned
    i have used a mac but not for graphics, I use PC windows xp for graphic designs but i heard Mac is better for graphics .. if i were you i would follow jm's advice and try out both before you decide.

Hi , well if he desides to do that (compare the 2computers) i don't think that some one would let him borrow one just to test it. And about the software idon't know what software he is going to use but i supposed like Photoshop or something like that, that software doesn't come in bubdle with the software that comes with the computer, i recommend that you buy the one that youre more familiar with and more experience.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by GrApHiCTrOn
    , i recommend that you buy the one that youre more familiar with and more experience.
    You recommend that you just go out and buy a system. Why ? Do we know if it's stand alone or has to be part of a network? His company will be paying for this. Are you employed in IT? If so does your company let you buy what you want with no report's or feedback on your say so? A logical and realistic arguement would be required to jusify any capital expediture for hardware, software, reasons for purchase, benefits to company in terms of increased productivity and cost savings etc

i recommend that you buy the one that youre more familiar with and more experience.
    Yup, I'm with GrApHiCTrOn on this one...

If Macs are what your familar with definiatly go with a Mac. If you're a PC person, I wouldn't suggest hoping into the Mac world just because the consences is that their better graphic systems - unless the software you want to use is Mac only...

Stay with what you know, unless the company plans on giving you paid time to relearn a whole new system - then I guess you might want to take advantage of a chance to get paid to learn something new...

Thats my 2 cents,
    RRP

I agree, go with what you know. But, I'll add that you need to check that the software you plan to use will be available for the system you plan to go with. There have been some changes, recently, to the software availability of some pretty high-end packages for one platform or the other.

If you want one for speed and power, then I'd go for the new Athlon 64bit processors. However, to get full preformance out of it you will need to have a 64 bit OS. I think Windows has one, bug I'm not sure if its out yet for xp.

With the 64bit you'll be able to do twice the work.
    =

I worked in a photo and video stuido (mostly weddings and bar/bat mitzvahs). Personally for video or graphics I would go with the Mac. I have a shitty little emac and it kicks ass against my PC's with higher specs. Just my opinion but I would go with the MAC.

Graphic programs are both on Windows and Mac. Doesn't matter which you choose, just whatever you are comfortable with.

Comfort = speed = job done quicker = happy customer

happy customer = $ + $(future)

What kind of graphics?