linux and windows
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux and windows

linux and windows

Hey,

This is a stupid question, but what makes Linux and Windows so different?(BESIDES the fact that Linux kicks WAY more ass!!!) I'm asking about the physical aspects. What is so diferent about them?
    One kind act done to a single heart is better than a thousand heads bowed in prayer. - Gandhi

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own, todays worries are enough for today. - Matthew 6.34

I read a book on this a while ago... a long while ago... but ill see what i remember-
    Windows uses a micro-kernel which passes a zillion messages per second asking questions like "did he press the a key" or "did he move the mouse" and it handles the messages from there.
    Linux uses some other type of kernel that i forgot everything about.

Linux also doesnt use dll files it uses librarys(if that makes any sense) and linux was created by a gazillion people who just sat at home and programmed it, thus relieving more of the bugs from it.

then you get into why open-source software works and all that good stuff

-hope that helps
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

Thanks krypto, have you heard anything like it being "a multi-user OS?"
    One kind act done to a single heart is better than a thousand heads bowed in prayer. - Gandhi

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own, todays worries are enough for today. - Matthew 6.34

ya, but that means that each user name created on linux doesn't interfere with any others... for example if i get a virus on my user name on your computer, it cant physically travel to you... but the book i read didnt say too much... but if you want to check it out it's called "Just for Fun" by Linus Torvalds
    <edit>
    it is more of an autobiography of Linus Torvalds but i found it interesting considering he created linux
    </edit>

Thnaks a lot krypto, people keep asking me what the difference between Linux and Windows is and I have no idea what to tell them.

If any of the info here is unaccurate... im sorry... but it has been a while since i read the book

Banned
    Which Windows? NT or SUE? (SUE = Single User Edition 95, 98, Me)

There are already a few errors in this thread, but I'll wait until you answer this question to correct them.

In the mean time, a few other threads to look at on various aspects of microkernels, linux compared to windows, linux kernel errors and kernel verification.

Microkernels attachment:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...937#post675260

Linux kernel errors:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...323#post674323

Kernel verification: (the virtues of microkernels)
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...983#post673983

A long meandering thread that compares various aspects of the two systems:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=249631

catch

if i might add a bit, Linux is a multi user OS because it truly is. Users can have diffrent login methids, aswell as for every use on the system the Linux OS will use seprite memory usages and cashing such for each user. some other diffrences is that linux is customizable, everything you want to use you have to setup and tailer it to your liking. Some times the default is good wile in other aspects you must go threw the conf file and set witch flags you want and witch you dont. The big diffrence between them is the fact is the directory structures of the two. Windows is pretty much a/b/c/d/e/f... drives, most files are situated on the C:\ drive, when in linux programs are everywhare, like /usr/local/bin, /sbin, /etc/, /home, theres places for files and programs everywhare. So much more then windows C:\Program Files is whare your installed programs are. This may seem a little one sided but I am running redhat 9 right now =) ....theres sooooooo much i left out, and im only a newbie with linux so forgive me if im wrong with any infomation.
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

syphon for me i like linux cause you know of it's different capabilities or feature not like windows first it's a multi tasking and multi user this OS system were multiple user can log on at the same time and it's absolutely FREE hehehehe... and in linux and unix you can acctually see what your system is doing not like windows were you really dont know what your system is doing, if you see those Message Report that sometimes pop up when your windows system had a trouble or and ask you to report it to the window assistance to inform them about that bug..you dont know if that pop up contains information about your system that why windows had a anti-trust case filed againt them .... in linux you can dedug your Os if you want ... linux has a fewer virus thaan windows.. and lots off reasson !!!!! i cant count the waays okay

Let's see. I'm sure catch can point out any erros of mine, he is much more into kernal archetecture (sorry hard word for me to spell.)

Linux is a multi-tasking multi-user operating system. But so are current versions of windows. (i.e. XP ) The two main diffrences are in the file system structres, and in the kernal archetecture. Linux uses a monolithec (don't know if i spelled right) kernal, where windows uses a microkernal.

As of now a microkernal is in theory the more advanced type of kernal. It is a basic kernal that uses process( not sure if that is right) outside of the kernal to control aspects of the computer. The thinking behind this is that if any one of the processes is hindred useless the entire system (kernal) does not falter. On the otherhand a monolithec kernal (such as linux) is one big compiled hunk of code wich handels everything enternily. Supporters of the monolithec kernal state that "if the code isn't right, it dosn't belong in the kernal"

Technically Windows scores higher on security ratings, (catch correct me if I'm wrong) i.e ISO 15408 standards. Linux on the other hand gives you access to the source code of the kernal, letting you customize and tweak it for your needs.

Another major factor is Linux is open source, where windows is closed source. Basically this means that anyone can make their own adjustments to the linux source code. Windows on the other hand has its source code stored in a vault in redmond with only microsoft programmers able to access it.

As far as which is better, there is no answer and really comes down to the person maintaing the system.

Hope I helped, and have accurate info. Somone correct me if I have gone astray.

DeafLamb