Thread: conexant hcf modem

conexant hcf modem

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem I've had with the conexant drivers and linux.
    If anyone knows where I can get some GOOD conexant modems drivers it would be of great help. I tryed the ones at the liexount site or however you say it but had no luck. thanks

Ermmm, well if you state what the problem you are having is, you might get a few more people trying to help you dood!

conexant

Well just the usuall, can't get linux to rconize my modem dood, running mandrake 9.1 if that helps thanks

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmmm.... I haven't used it but perhaps some of these might help:

http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/4630.html
    http://www.linuxquestions.org <-- use the search feature or sign up and post in the Mandrake section
    http://www.linmodems.org <-- should be able to search through archives for hints and help
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi,

I have encountered problems with Connexant HCF modems on a number of windows boxes. I would not rate them highly for compatibility, although the one on this Me box is fine when I use it.

I wonder if part of the problem is that a lot of these "Connexant" modems are cheap OEM generic devices, and do not come with the right drivers? Generic drivers from the chipset manufacturer do not always work in these circumstances.

Good luck...............you may need to look for a new modem.

By The Way.............what hardware are you running...........YES! it does matter with some of them.

you could try www.linuxant.com but you have to pay like 14 dlls, how odd the drivers are more expesive that the Modem

Because the scope of this project has grown beyond the capacity of a single volunteer and legal issues prevent us from using a classic open-source development model, the modem drivers are now available in two editions:

a free version (limited to 14.4Kbps data), available at no cost. Please use it to test if your hardware is compatible.

a full version (with 56K and FAX), available for a modest price.

https://www.linuxant.com/store/faq.php

Note: this FAQ explains why our modem drivers are not entirely free.
    Is Linuxant the same company as Conexant?

Conexant and Linuxant are completely distinct entities, operating on their own and without any common ownership.

Conexant is a semiconductor company producing (amongst other things) modem chipsets, primarily for use with Windows.

Linuxant is an independent firm trying to make important technologies available to Linux users. Linuxant has licensed such technology from Conexant.

Why is it necessary to pay money for the full version of the Linux driver?
    Shouldn't I expect a Linux driver to have been included in the price already paid for my modem?

First, Linuxant received none of the money you paid to buy your low-cost modem. Instead, most of it went to:
    Your retailer / store / mail-order company and distributors
    Your computer / modem manufacturer
    Only a very small portion (around or less than $5 these days) went to Conexant (not Linuxant!) for producing the hardware chipset. But since these are sold in very large quantities (millions of units) for the Windows market, Conexant can amortize driver development costs and pay in-house staff to write the required software for Windows.

Linuxant on the other hand doesn't sell any hardware, and depends on contributions from users and other licensing revenues to develop adequate Linux drivers for very widespread proprietary hardware. This cannot be effectively done by the open-source community because a significant portion of such drivers is technology protected by trade secrets, patents, or other restrictions, and it requires a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) which most open-source developers are not willing or not able to sign without getting into a difficult position.

Nonetheless we did initially try the purely free approach (in the beta stage) and unfortunately it didn't work in this case. Because legal restrictions prevent the software from being entirely open-source, free-software programmers couldn't get involved. Instead, our personal mailboxes got constantly flooded with requests for improvements from users and we ended up having to do the bulk of development ourselves, with professional staff working full-time (and deserving a minimum salary).

There is a lot of demand from users in need of adequate Linux softmodem drivers, but it cannot be fulfilled without a sustainable business model and minimal revenue to at least cover operating expenses (essentially research & development, support, hosting etc).

In the future, full versions of our Linux drivers might be included with the new products of computer and modem manufacturers, so as to eliminate the need for end-users to pay extra fees. Interested companies can contact oem@linuxant.com to make such arrangements.

Meanwhile, casual modem users who do not need the full version can still use our free version, which is built from the same source code as the full version and supports data rates up to 14.4Kbps (V.32bis).

https://www.linuxant.com/store/faq.php

When I worked at an ISP call center the majority of people with modem problems had Connexant HCF. You’re probably better of getting a different modem.
    Mad Beaver