Thread: xp sp1a issues

xp sp1a issues

I have downloaded and applied xp sp1a to a couple of test machines.

I have noticed that when logging off the computer (not shutting down), it will hang for ~30 seconds to ~2 min before disconnecting network drives.

Each machine has different a different manufacturer and different specs... so I don't think its going to be computer specific. However, they are all running the exact same OS, with same updates, with same software and services.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I did not find relevant info when searching and it is not listed in xpsp1/a known issues.

Yes indeed. I loaded an XPsp1a test machine here at work and noticed that when shutting down, it hangs for a good while. I do not have any networked drives mapped, or anything of the sort. I am not sure what in the patch is causing this hangup. I thought maybe after rebooting once, it would go away. This was not the case.

It doesn't seem as bad shutting down... mostly logging off.

Removing XPsp1 (doens't give the option to remove sp1a) and the reapplying sp1 will make the problem go away... but thats not really a good solution... as we want sp1a!

Wait for another patch to fix the broken patch? LoL

Reminds me of an article I read the other day.
    Not related to this problem... but still kind of related in it needs a fix to fix the fix.
    A hack to fix another hack to fix another hack to fix another hack, etc.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/191

Guess this article can be applied to more than open source.

I have applied SP1 to numerous networked machines and none of them ever experienced a delay in logging off or disconnecting network drives.

The only delays encountered were logging ON when the DNS entry was incorrect.

I have applied SP1 to numerous networked machines and none of them ever experienced a delay in logging off or disconnecting network drives.
    Same here. I have no problems with SP1. I am having the problems with SP1a.

Don't quote me on any of this, but I remember reading an article a while back about XP SP1(A) having memory handling issues that wouldn't be resolved until XP SP2. I notice a huge problem when I'm running memory intensive apps like VMWare that I've seen perform better on 2K Pro machines with the same amount and type of memory. If you're waiting for XP SP2, you've got until late 2004 as per the latest from MS.

This has gotta be the only patch for an OS that could add problems to the software rather than remove them, and who would produce such a thing and make it the best of its kind???
    /\\