Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Determine OS Remotely

Nokia, sorry.. that format was incorrect. it is winmsd /server servername.

the simple way to looking for remote OS machine , i use www.netcraft.com

The IP adress, although it wont give you info on OS, provides much valuable info. What I would suggest is portscanning, that usually gives ALOT of info!

Be careful though to do it from an anonymous place though, because I portscanned my district webserver and got in much much trouble!! It's not illegal, but it puts you on the admins hit list, and doesn't help friendship at all if I may say so myself lol! And never portscan anyplace you may want a job at either, because again it doesn't help make friends

I even sent in the report thats why they knew I did it, guess people dont like us much nowadays lol

who sais u cant use NMAP from a command line??? just install winnmap from the nmap site and u can run it from a command line. I must not understand ur situation though...why if u have a GUI would u wanna use the command line? But yeh...just install nmap for windows and u can use it from command line...i do it all the time. Example would be like

C:\nmap -sT -vv xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

works for me...hope this helps?

Elite Hacker
    I don't think anyone said you couldn't use nmap from the command line, they just were saying it is not a built-in command line utility, meaning it doesn't come standard with windows.

yea all these tools are great, but you can use the TTL value given by a ping to determine the type of OS,

obviously it wont do it and tell you its windows 2000 with service pack 2, just gives you the basic overview that its a windows system, or nix, or AIX.....etc...

http://secfr.nerim.net/docs/fingerpr...l_default.html

I was gonna copy the table into here, but I couldnt be bothered to re-gig it so it was readable, I dunno whether its fesible but being able to use tab in this reply window sure would be useful.

anyway, that method works pretty well, On linux you can change the TTL value - inaffect making it harder to identify, but this could have implications. This is how Nmaps works I think.

cheers

i2c