Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Determine OS Remotely

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Determine OS Remotely

Is there a built-in command line function in Windows that will determine or return the OS of a remote IP?

In other words, if a field tech inputs a remote IP the result would let him know if the IP in question is running Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, etc.??

Depends what program he is inputing the IP address into I suppose.

A P/S such as Nmap can more often that not determine an O/S if you select the right option.

Are you talking in the terms of a windows remote connection or just machines on a network or over the internet etc?

I know its not a command line function but it will still get you the result you require.

Elite Hacker
    I don't think Nmap is a built in command line function.
    I've done a couple of searches and have come up with nothing, but I'll keep at it till someone gives you a definite answer. I for one don't think there is a built in command.

I know that, but if you need to find out an O/S of a machine, its a good program to use.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I don't think Nmap is a built in command line function.
    Right.

I know there are tools- various scanners such as GFI LanGuard or NMap- that will work to determine information such as this.

Rather than trying to teach everyone how to use those tools though I want to be able to just tell someone to go to a command prompt and type blah, blah, blah.

Originally I was hoping that NBTStat had a switch that would also return OS level, but alas I do not see any such thing.

If anyone knows of a native Windows command line program that will get this info it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

nmap is defently the easist way to find out what OS a computers running. It should have defention for all versions of windows and even if it dosn`t normally you can tell by looking through the data it gives.
    nmap is a command line program the gui`s you see just run the command nmap and put whatever options you choose at the end.
    I prefer using it on linux, i find it a lot quicker, all you have to type is nmap xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -O
    Then it`ll come back with what ports are open and most of the time the OS.
    Hope that helps.

edit: sorry tonybradley i was typing while you posted that last one.

Elite Hacker
    I know it's not built in but Tedob1 showed me these tools: http://www.systernals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml

the psinfo tool looks interesting.
    Usage
    By default PsInfo shows information for the local system. Specify a remote computer name to obtain information from the remote system. Since PsInfo relies on remote Registry access to obtain its data, the remote system must be running the Remote Registry service and the account from which you run PsInfo must have access to the HKLM\System portion of the remote Registry.

In order to aid in automated Service Pack updates, PsInfo returns as a value the Service Pack number of system (e.g. 0 for no service pack, 1 for SP 1, etc).

usage: psinfo [-h] [-s] [-d] [-c [-t delimiter]] [\\computer [-u username [-p password]]]
    -h Show list of installed hotfixes.
    -s Show list of installed applications.
    -d Show disk volume information.
    -c Print in CSV format.
    -t The default delimiter for the -s option is a comma, but can be overriden with the specified character.
    -u Specifies optional user name for login to remote computer.
    -p Specifies password for user name.
    \\computer Instead of showing process information for the local system, PsInfo will show information for the NT/Win2K/XP system specified.

Example Output
    c:> psinfo \\development -h -d

PsInfo v1.33 - local and remote system information viewer
    Copyright (C) 2001-2002 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

System information for \\DEVELOPMENT:
    Uptime: 28 days, 0 hours, 15 minutes, 12 seconds
    Kernel version: Microsoft Windows XP, Multiprocessor Free
    Product type: Professional
    Product version: 5.1
    Service pack: 0
    Kernel build number: 2600
    Registered organization: Sysinternals
    Registered owner: Mark Russinovich
    Install date: 1/2/2002, 5:29:21 PM
    Activation status: Activated
    IE version: 6.0000
    System root: C:\WINDOWS
    Processors: 2
    Processor speed: 1.0 GHz
    Processor type: Intel Pentium III
    Physical memory: 1024 MB
    Volume Type Format Label Size Free Free
    A: Removable 0%
    C: Fixed NTFS WINXP 7.8 GB 1.3 GB 16%
    D: Fixed NTFS DEV 10.7 GB 809.7 MB 7%
    E: Fixed NTFS SRC 4.5 GB 1.8 GB 41%
    F: Fixed NTFS MSDN 2.4 GB 587.5 MB 24%
    G: Fixed NTFS GAMES 8.0 GB 1.0 GB 13%
    H: CD-ROM CDFS JEDIOUTCAST 633.6 MB 0%
    I: CD-ROM 0%
    Q: Remote 0%
    T: Fixed NTFS Test 502.0 MB 496.7 MB 99%OS Hot Fix Installed
    Q147222 1/2/2002
    Q309521 1/4/2002
    Q311889 1/4/2002
    Q313484 1/4/2002
    Q314147 3/6/2002
    Q314862 3/13/2002
    Q315000 1/8/2002
    Q315403 3/13/2002
    Q317277 3/20/2002
    I know it's not what you were looking for, but the tools are pretty neat and most are quite small like ~ 20 Kb. Why don't you just give them this link next time they ask?

It opens up a gui screen, but you can run winmsd \\IP at the command line and it will show the system information for the remote system. Assuming you have proper permissions.

If you check the switches with winmsd /? there are options to redirect the output to a file. If you are looking to batch this all together this might be the best option.

Can you open up the sys info on another machine this way?

I have always found that no matter what ip you put after winmsd your own sys info is always displayed instead?

Not sure if it's on Windows by default, but
    Code:
    % nslookup
    set type=hinfo 
    <ipaddr>
    will tell you about a machine's CPU/OS iff the domain admin has typed it in. This is info from the dns server, though, so it's not there 99.9% of the time, and even if it is there's no reason to expect that it's accurate.