Thread: Hollywood Fights Kazaa

Hollywood Fights Kazaa

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...racy_lessons_1

Interesting story, but I do not think it'll work very well at all.

It basically means people cannot think for themselves and become part of the gross national product. Do as I say, but don't do as I do campaign.

I think it is a crock of ****.

<RIAA "Guy>Now remember kids, what do you say if an evil file sharer offers you the source code for Half Life
    2?"

<kids>"Just Say No!!!"

<RIAA>"That's right boys and girls, "Don't Do Filesharing."

F.A.R.E - Filesharing Abuse Resistance Eductation.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

lol, hope this doesn't come to my school or i might do something i'm going to regret later...

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

F.A.R.E - Filesharing Abuse Resistance Eductation.
    DARE is just as useless in my schools. Lol.

Old Fart
    You know, it's really very simple...I want a kiosk in the mall, walmart, 7-11...wherever someone who wants to buy music would go. A simple machine plugged (high bandwidth, of course) into the many record labels' servers (which means NOTHING has to be "out of print" anymore) that has access to MUSIC OF ALL FLAVORS. I want to pay a reasonable fee for the music I WANT burnt onto a disk of reasonable quality. If the RIAA has a group they want to shove down my throat then they are welcome to add it to the END of my selections at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE to me. I'll even tolerate a labeling system that allows the RIAA to sell ad space to Budweiser or whoever. Call me crazy, but it looks like a simple way to curb piracy to me. The RIAA distribution model is the underlying "justification" for piracy...if you remove the cause you make a serious dent in the effect that it generated. Had the RIAA developed such a system several years ago the P2P genie might have never made it out of the bottle..

NOTE TO RIAA: If you want to curb piracy, start sending me those $100,000 checks and give me a free hand redesigning your distribution model. You need to wake up and understand that technology has the potential to replace workers AND businesses. Evolve or DIE.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Evolve or DIE.
    Evolve, migrate, or die. The basis of life. They'll try migrating and get owned by P2P. Their choice, and their loss. Perhaps if they actually meant half of what they said, or said half of what they meant they would get somewhere. Right now is just a bunch of bullshit to get money.

-I'm glad I'm with me too. (After Frodo says, "Sam I'm glad your with me."-LotR I)-

allenb1963 - that is similar to the kiosks that are in Japan. You bascially pay the equivilant of $10 and get to choose your own tracks and it burns it right there for you. They are pretty spiffy machines and I have always wondered why they never have made it over here to the US.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Originally posted here by Lv4
    allenb1963 - that is similar to the kiosks that are in Japan. You bascially pay the equivilant of $10 and get to choose your own tracks and it burns it right there for you. They are pretty spiffy machines and I have always wondered why they never have made it over here to the US.
    It never caught on over here because Americans,in general are too stubborn. The mindset is "We did not have to pay for radio tunes or to copy aired songs onto tape, so why sould we pay for songs that have been digitalized.

Technology is the ultimate culprit here. If the recording industry really wanted to reduce piracy, it would find a way for the data to suffer small, integral degredations when copied. Just like copying a tape or 8 track, each copy is a little worse than the last. When you get fed up with listening to the "fuzzy" piece of crap you copied, you will go out and buy it if you really like it.

Of course this is more technically difficult than simply blocking the copy process. Lots of factors.

If the RIAA had kept the price of CD's affordable then their arguments might find a more positive reception. Oh well, the RIAA is finally figuring out that better is not always best, but now it is too late to back up from the table. Hee Hee
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!