Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cd drive missing??

cd drive missing??

an old problem i never solved..a friend runs windows 98, while trying to make space she deleted her cd drive and the restore disk is on a cd..there is no restore point..i tried resetting bios and nothing happened..i don't know what to do and any suggestions would be helpful..i am good with software but weak in hardware though i could find my way around the insides of a box
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

How do you mean deleted her CD drive?
    You cant really delete a piece of hardware.

What happens when you put a CD in?
    Do any lights come on at boot up?
    Does your BIOS recognise it at all?
    Have you checked that it is still connected up inside?

How on earth did your friend delete a CD drive?

Unless the CD-ROM drive is dead, then most likely either the power plug or the IDE cable came out slightly.

I know sometimes working inside the box, just by moving stuff around, sometimes the IDE cable gets unplugged enough so the system doesn't see it.

Like what Nokia said....check the cables, make sure the BIOS recognizes it.
    t.e.k.n.o.

If the bios recognizes it she might have disabled it in the hardware profile or something. Try going to the device manager, (under system in control pannel I believe) and see if its there with a red 'x' through it or something. Then right click and hit enable. Very unlikely, but I've seen some weird ****.

DeafLamb

you can't really "delete" a cdrom drive.. it could be disabled from the hardware profile in the device manager but I doubt she went and did that.. I think perhaps the IDE cable going to it got disconnected or the drive died on it's own.. but a start would be to go into the control panel/system/device manager to check on it.. see if it's even listed. then if not, I'd open up the box and pop the cable off and put it back on.. if it's on it's own cable, try replacing the cable.. actually it could be that even if it shares the cable with the hard drive.. the cable could still be bad.. another thought.. grab a w98 bootdisk.. boot and select cdrom support.. see if it's detected.. i think it won't be.. only the oldest of cdroms needs any 3rd party driver for it to work in w98, so I wouldn't worry about it being a driver.. you might just buy a new cdrom drive.. they're only 30 bucks or so.. and plug the new drive in.. that sounds like the quickest troubleshooting solution.. If the exisiting drive shared the IDE cable with the hard drive.. make sure the jumper on the new drive is set for slave.. and if it was on a cable by itself then the drive should be set for master.

edit: damn i type slow.. there were no replies when i started typing.. hehe

i think its detected because it says... enter disk but the drive isn't listed and when i do enter a disk it doesn't detect it
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

i think it is more of a fact that the CDRom drive is not being detected mostly with Win98...

Many a times a restart resolves the problem...

I suggest that u remove the Cdrom drive from ur friends PC and try on some other PC.... If it is working fine of other PC.....

If it works fine on other PC...
    Firstly Try checking the cable connections.....

Try reinstalling the windows....
    Else
    Ur friends Cdrom drive is dead... and needs to be replaced.....

Regards

If t
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

When you say the drive isnt listed are you talking, not listed in your device manager, BIOS or system information or all three?

If the drive opens to let you enter a disc it must have power so check your IDE/SCSI cable, which ever you have, to see that it is secured properly.

Also have you done a Virus check recently?

I shouldnt see a need to reinstall windows at this stage as anjali says........... for the obvious reason...... your CD ROM isnt working. There are other easier options to explore first!

It may be easier to just buy a new cd rom, they are only about £20-£30 in the uk, i dont reacon they would be much different in the states.

Providing it is a hardware fault not a configuration fault though, why spen £30 when just altering a setting could solve your problem?