Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomm me AMD Motherboard....

Recomm me AMD Motherboard....

Hi all, Can you all recomm me what the best mobo(Not dual-channel one) for AMD Athlon XP "TBred chip", Since I have MSI KT4AV, my system not stable enough.

Thanks...

Old Fart
    I'm a big ABIT fan myself....but I have to warn you that ABIT boards and "cheap" RAM don't get along real well. I have 2 ABIT boards (a BE-6 for Celeron and a KT7a RAID for my T-bird) and am very satisfied with both.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Right on

Abit does make an extremely nice board. I've built several systems with them and haven't had a problem yet (personally). The Asus A7V333-X is a nice single channel motherboard if your in the market. Asus products are very stable and very nice. Also keep in mind that if you buy a dual channel motherboard you DO NOT need 2 sticks of memory. They will run just fine with one stick of memory. Also, MSI makes a mean motherboard. I run a MSI K7N2-ILSR Delta motherboard in my system and I love it.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Re: Right on

Originally posted here by Eversor
    Abit does make an extremely nice board. I've built several systems with them and haven't had a problem yet (personally). The Asus A7V333-X is a nice single channel motherboard if your in the market. Asus products are very stable and very nice. Also keep in mind that if you buy a dual channel motherboard you DO NOT need 2 sticks of memory. They will run just fine with one stick of memory. Also, MSI makes a mean motherboard. I run a MSI K7N2-ILSR Delta motherboard in my system and I love it.
    I'll second Asus on the motherboards. I have a A7N8X Deluxe (dual channel memory, with an AMD XP 2800+, Barton Core). I'd recommend if you can splurge for it to go for the dual memory channels for the performance boost. I also looked at the cost of getting a soundcard seperate versus the one provided on the nvidia chipset and wound up going for the one on the MB for cost reasons (and it compares favorably, and even if you don't like it, you can still disable it and get a seperate one).

/nebulus200
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I must third the Asus boards. I've built 5 computers using the ASUS boards, and I still haven't had any problems with them. I'va also built a computer with a gigabit board, but like the ASUS a little better. Even though the sound is integrated into the m/b I still find that the sound is good enough for games.
    =

Try this mobo on for size. The ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, nForce2 chipset, w/Audio/Lan/Raid/IEEE is sure to please anyone going with an AMD Athlon Processor. It has gigabit ethernet capability built in as well as firewire. Has NForce2 built in as well. You can find it at just about any computer parts store online or at a computer retail store near you! Try looking for the best prices at www.pricewatch.com .
    [gloworange][shadow][/shadow][/gloworange] [gloworange][shadow]\"To (10000010) or not to (10000010)? That is the question!\"[/shadow][/gloworange] [gloworange][shadow][/shadow][/gloworange]

I must admit that I have used Gigabyte MoBos for better quality systems Although the ASUS is fine, as I am told.

What you have not told us are the vital clues here JohnH.

1. Model/speed of processor
    2. Make/type speed of RAM (and amount!!!)
    3. Videocard to be supported
    4. Soundard to be supported
    5. Internet connection type/modem to be supported

I am about to build a system with a Gigabyte K7 Triton 400 Series MoBo...I think that it is a 7VAXP Ultra. It should work with the XP3200, and 1.5gig of RAM. 2x Deskstar 120Gb drives in a RAID1 array.

On the other hand, when I finished my last contract, I was given/"presented with" an ASRock K7VM2 and an XP2400 (I think that there is 512 mb of 266 as well?)

There is no "real" answer to your question until you tell us a bit more, like 1-5 above?

Good Luck

I would definatly agree with the ASUS MO BO's, I have only used these in any PC i do for the last year or so.

They are cheap (for what you get on them)

The software you get bundled with it is excellent

They can come with on board graphics/sound etc but ASUS havent scrimpped and saved with them and they are usualy quite good chips so just because they are onboard doesnt mean they wont do the job

The have an excellent easy to use bios flashing utility

They also have a utility called PC Probe which will monitor all your voltages and tepratures and will warn you if anything is overheating or out of the ordinary

The technical help is second to none :
    I once made a hash out of a clients MO BO when I was flashing her bios, but a simple call to asus and they said just send them the MO BO and they will re flash it for me at no cost except P+P, I had it back in the same week good as new.
    This was before they brought out their bios flashing utility of course!

Personally I would not use any other manufactures for a MO BO!

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I agree with Nokia about Asus, their mobo's are in general good quality compared with the price, and they come packed with everything you need. (drivers, cables, I/O shield, brackets, guide...) If you are into overclocking I would go with Abit.

seems to be lots of different opinions, but for an AMD CPU, any nForce2 based board is always good, just steer clear of unknown cheap and nasty brands you've never heard of...

Gigabyte is popular among myself and my mates at uni for being affordable and good quality, they can have features ranging from almost nothing onboard (GA-7VA, what i have) to pretty much everything onboard, i also hear that MSI make good boards, but i can't really give an opinion on them

i currently run an AMD palomino 2100+ on my ga-7va mobo and havnt had a problem with it, apart from the RAM recently dying (508 errors on memtest-86), ive had to buy all my add on cards like sound and LAN and that kinda stuff myself coz it was the bottom of tha range board, but gigabyte now have boards with pretty much everything onboard

so if youre not wanting to buy too many other parts that would likely be suitable for you

gigabyte boards also come with temp monitoring software for windoze, as well as overcloking software for windoze and also fsb overclockable in the BIOS (mine anyway)