Installing redhat fails, image not found

Thread: Installing redhat fails, image not found

Installing redhat fails, image not found

I am trying to install Redhat with failure and was hopeing someone here can help. Firstly a friend burned RH 7.3 onto CDs for me. I did the media check and disk 2 is bad.,

I decided I would download the iso's for RH 9 and place them onto my hard drive and atempt a hard drive instalation. Since I dont have a burner.

I downloaded three files, shrike-i386-disk1.iso ......

When I rebot I choose to install redhat from hard drive instead of CD, Im presented with hda1 and hda5 to choose from, in which case I tryed hda1, it said hda1 does not apear to contain red har cdrom images. So I tryed hda5 and same thing.

I dont understand why it cant find the iso's because I placed directly in the root, C: and did not move them to a folder or change the name.

Can someone help me with this issue.

I also have Free BSD burned on CDs for me, but I wanted to try red hat first. Another friend is burning Mandrake for me.

Elite Hacker
    You can't install from the hd like that. You would have to download all the stuff from the following link to a directory:
    ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/d...86/RedHat/RPMS
    or you could do the ftp install using that same link down two directories
    ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/d.../9/en/os/i386/
    You also need the boot disc, and the file to make it is located here:
    ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/d...os/i386/images
    good luck

edit
    If you need more help PM me and I'd be glad to give any help I can.

What you also could do, if you have a broadband connection of any sort, is install via FTP or HTTP. I find this extremely helpful on older PC's where you can't find the CD drivers, or they won't recognize. However, if you're on dialup, its totally out of the question.

Hope this helped.
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

RH won't install from a NTFS hard drive. Verify that its not, otherwise you may have to install from the CD's, or via HTTP or FTP as mentioned. Or, I guess you could simply convert your partition to FAT32, but thats up to you.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

the ftp method sounds good, I do have a cable conection, but when I read the instructions for ftp instalation on the redHat site, it did not work for me.

I used rawrite to write drvnet.img to a floppy, and boot.img to another, neither will get me to the point I can choose an ftp install.

I had also tryed the drive method of copying the redhat files to a directory but without sucess. My drive is currently a FAT32.

Can someone guide me how i would go abouts the FTP install, Ive read the instalation manual.

Elite Hacker
    When booting type
    linux askmethod
    and if that doesn't work press F2 for options and it will tell you how to get it to prompt for the method of install.
    Good luck.

I recently dl redhat 9.0 from linux's server !386 1,2, and 3 images. I put them on disc and put disc 1 in my CD ROM. Reboot, enter in bootup config, and select boot from CD ROM. Unfortunately, it loads windoze and doesnt even see redhat????

What to do?
    A+ Certified

journy101, what u doing is that u trying to install from the iso, which will not work, those are just images of the cds for u to burn into the cds. if u want install from hard drive u should do what h3r3tic said (download the RPMS).

Propaganda, how did u burn the cds? which software did u use? i have a frnd who burnt the image files into the cds (I was realy amazed) and was complaining that they dnt work.
    You should select the option that says burn from an image(.iso) file.
    Plz post more information.

The FACT that people ignore FACTS
    doesnt mean that FACTS are not FACTS