Thread: Anyone know how or where outlook stores it's attachments?

Anyone know how or where outlook stores it's attachments?

I've been lookin for information on where outlook stores it's attachments. Anyone know where it's at?

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Anyone know how or where outlook stores it's attachments?

Originally posted here by phreeOn
    I've been lookin for information on where outlook stores it's attachments. Anyone know where it's at?
    Check out the following link.It may be what you are looking for:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/ac...ess244972.html

Also a Google search for outlook attachments, will return many other sites for you to search through.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Typically, in the user's PST file. Go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>MAIL SETUP and select DATA FILES. This will show you where the location of all the PST files are on your host.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

For outlook express I'm wondering if it's possible to have vbscript access the attachments. What I want to do is to have the vbscript save all the attachments into a folder in the C:\ drive. Just so I can have a backup incase something happens because alot of my e-mail is code from myself that I send when i'm at work. Thought it would be nice to have that stuff saved incase something happend. Anyway thanks for the links I did happen to find that PST file that's pretty cool.

Send them to a hotmail account and then forget about them, then if something does happen all you have to do is forward them to yourself!!

It saves on HDD space too!

I would back it up on cdrw or Dvd that way there if hotmail ever goes down you will always have copy right at your finger tips and would be faster then having to log into hotmail.

Lol well the purpose was to make the backup automated this way i don't have to go into every e-mail save the attachment, I could just open up nero select the folder where the attachments were saved and burn.

The Iceman Cometh
    If I were you, I'd just burn the PST file to a CD-R/W. That way, if anything does happen, you can simply insert the CD into a computer, open up the PST file in Outlook and you have access to both your attachments and your actual e-mail messages.

AJ

Here is some code that processes outlook messages automatically using MAPI calls. I'm not sure if you have all of this functionality using Outlook Express. You would of course have to modify the code to save attachments where you see fit. If you are familiar with API calls, this should be fairly easy for you to accomplish.

http://www.codeproject.com/internet/processmb.asp

Why don't you just use a better email client? I use Eudora and it saves all my attachments in a directory of my choice. It saves only the email message itself in a database like file just like outlook but attachments go into that directory.
    It is also safer to use, exploits for outlook won't work with Eudora.
    You can use it for free in sponsored mode which means just a small banner in the corner of the main window.
    Look at: http://www.eudora.com
    Another great email program is 'the bat'. It also stores the attachments in a directory rather than in the message and also much more secure than outlook. Look at: http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/