Mandrake 9.2 Warning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake 9.2 Warning

Mandrake 9.2 Warning

I was zipping through slashdot and came across a very suprising article, that I think needs to be circulated here to possibly save some hardware. It seems Mandrake 9.2 kills LG based cd drives upon attempting the install process, and a reboot shows the drive to be completely dead. Here is a direct quote from the Mandrake Errata Page
    Error scenario: Installing 9.2 and being told unable to install the base system and subsequent reboot reveals that CD-ROM drive is physically dead.
    Why: According to LG Electronics, their ODD (Optical Disc Drive) products do not support Linux nor do they test with Linux. Unfortunately, many Dell computers (possibly others) come with these CD-ROM drives.

Solution: Currently there is no solution or work-around for this issue; it is still under investigation. Damage occurs even when doing a network install. At this point, please do not install Mandrake Linux 9.2 on any computer containing a LG-based CD-ROM drive or it will damage your CD-ROM drive! We are actively looking for a solution to this problem.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Nice post, thanks for the info

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Does this apply only for mandrake linux? Or would this dc rom also die on any other *nix based systems?

I will look into this and let you know.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Syini666. Thank you for that information. I use Manrake 9.1 for testing purposes, and usually try out each new version, and oops, I have an LG CDRW. I am not a software person, but you would think that they would be able to pinpoint exactly what changes were made in ver 9.2 to cause this to happen. Hope between them, they get a fix for it soon. thanks again
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

instronics, i have a computer with an LG cd rom and rw , it has RH9 and i haven't had any problems

I'm confused as to how the software can damage the hardware, coz if that were possible, a virus could destroy such hardware with ease. Call me ignorant, but I never really thought that software could kill hardware. (Ignoring Firmware)
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    This thread at MandrakeUsers.org Board may be of help. There is a link for a firmware upgrade that might help prevent the problem as well as a list of "troublesome" drives.

ried:
    COMPAQ CRD-8322B(CP1)
    CRD-8400B (machine: Dell Optiplex gx1)
    CRD-8400B (machine: IBM PC 300 PL)
    CDR-8400B(mi)
    CRD-8400C
    COMPAQ CRD-8402B
    LG CRD-8480C (machine: Old Dell XPS T650r)
    GCR-8481B (machine: Dell Optiplex gx270; rom: 1.06; date: jun 2003)
    CRD-8482B (machine: Dell Optiplex GX1)
    GOLDSTAR CDR-8482B (machine: HP Vectra VL400; firmware: 1.01)
    CRD-8482B (Dell Precision 220, rom: 1.05)
    LG ???? (machine: HP Vectras VL4xx)
    GCC 4480B DVD/CD-R/RW/CDROM (firmware 1.00 - upgrading firmware to 1.01 workarounds
    problem)

work:
    LG GMA-4020B DVD-RW
    LG GCC-4120B CDRW/DVD
    LG CD-RW CED-8080B DVD/CD-R/RW/CDROM
    LG CD-RW CED-8120B (motherboard: ASUS K7M)
    HL-DT-ST GCC-4480B (machine: Shuttle SB 62 G2 - i865/ICH5; firmware 1.01 - WARNING,
    firmware 1.00 is reported to have the fry problem!) HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B
    (motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe) HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8161B (motherboard: Soyo)
    HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B
    HL-DT-ST GCE-8481B CD-CDRW (chipset: SIS 651/962)
    HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8520B
    HL-DT-ST GCE-8520B (motherboard: ASUS P4P800)
    This newsgroup thread might have the clue:

It's probably writing to bits of the register for the device that is intended to reprogram the EEPROM or similar. Some network cards had this problem a looong time ago. ...
    What's interesting was the comments from the Mandrake Cooker list (I believe that's their developers/tester list). This particular driver/module had been in the pre-releases. So why wasn't it picked up there? I'm guessing that people were told, as from what I saw on some of the threads I researched, that was weird coincidence. Evidentally when you replace the drive 3 times and it happens 3 times, you have to wonder at that point.

The details of what specifically is happening is still sketchy at this point. At LinuxQuestions.org there is a thread on this and they have contacted Mandrake to get specific details (no response yet since this is happening over a weekend). I expect the details will emerge during this week.

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Not that I'd use Mandrake, but I passed through this info...

Thnx Syini.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    More scuttlebutt from another Google Newsgroup. I personally think that Mandrake is at fault for this but LG does hold some responsibility. If they are making CDRoms that do not hold to standards (that is, accepting information in the wrong place) they should also respond to this.

Even more scuttlebutt...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Thank you , Ms Mittens for the update. Plenty of good debate on the subject. I just feel sorry for anybody who has already been caught out, being unaware of this problem, and no doubt there will be potentially many more, who possibly do not keep updated
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)