Thread: A nIcE FlaSh InTrO

Banned

A nIcE FlaSh InTrO

I feel a nice flash intro would do the site good. You might include a member login box somewhere over there and some other kewl stuff. It will greatly increase traffic to the site...

I hate Flash intros. Just 'cause it's kewl to do, doesn't mean you must do it.

I agree with rapier - whilst I do like flash (note: if it's done well) this site is about the community and information - the frills come second and I feel that the frills such as flash would only detract from the main focus of AO.

If done badly flash becomes something of a hindrance especially since not everyone has a highspeed connection. Whilst I do have a high speed connection I remember waiting for what seemed like forever on a 56k modem for a flash page to load only to find it really was not worth the wait.

A nice idea but probably not practical here.

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Sorry to be so blunt, th3spid3r. Flash (Shockware and whatnot) is a sore spot with me right now, and I didn't mean to take it out on you.

My philosophy has always been to design and build good, solid, clean, sound web sites first. Make sure they work. Then add a _little_ flash and dash -- where appropriate.

Always keep your lowest common denominator in mind (dial-up customer).

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: A nIcE FlaSh InTrO

Originally posted here by th3spid3r
    I feel a nice flash intro would do the site good. You might include a member login box somewhere over there and some other kewl stuff. It will greatly increase traffic to the site...
    Personally, I am not attracted to a site because of " kewl stuff " My idea of what constitutes a good site, is based on the quality of the content, my need for the particular information, and good working links, and would have to agree with the other contributors, regarding your suggestion

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Any decent site with a flash intro has a "skip intro" button. I have only once not clicked that button!!!! High speed connection or not, period. If it doesn't have the option to skip it then I leave the site before it loads.

Flash intro's are "eye candy"..... The trouble is, I'm almost always in search of "brain candy". I find the two are mutually exclusive.

OTOH, if you want to put some nice flash stuff accessible from the main or some other page that would be fine.... I, personally, would not appreciate that extra click every time I want to come here.....

Just my 2c
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

everyone knows I'm the Flash m0nkey round here
    but i gotta say i dont think AO needs a flash intro - yeah they can look nice but will they still look nice the 90000th time you gotta skip it to get into site?
    I like them sometimes - a well done intro can look well but mostly I dont use them anymore and if I do it wil have option to skip | skip never show again | play
    and if the person shows play then it wont show again either - its all well and good showing off your l337 flash skills but people arn't gonna want to see it again and again

v_Ln