Thread: Security Definitions

Security Definitions

Sorry if there is already a topic like this. I looked semi-comprehensively, but couldn't find anything.
    Question: Does anyone know a site where I could find a thorough listing of definitions for FTP, DOS, POP3, etc. to things like sockets, ports, etc.?
    -r.p.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well Protocol definitions can be found at RFC Editor

Sockets and other generic terms you should be able to find in any dictionary like Merirum-Webster. For acronyms, I usually look them up at Acronym Finder.

Are there some more specific items that you'd be looking for (and I don't think -- AFAIK -- there is a central location for this kind of stuff. Sorta pick it up as you go).

If you are looking to get into basics of security in general, I'd actually recommend visiting your library or bookstore for one of the following:

Hackerproof 2nd Edition
    Hacking Exposed, 4th Edition
    Hacking Notes (they aren't bad).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Mmhmm. I didn't even think of looking in the dictionary for computer related terms. I guess I thought that they wouldn't be covered.
    Thanks.
    -r.p.

I knew I forgot something. If the dictionary doesn't have it, then there is only one place to turn:

Google and type as your search words What is <insert topic here> (putting the relavant term at the end.)

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Now I just look stupid.
    Wouldn't searching for something of that nature lead me to something about warez, virii, etc?
    -r.p.

Depends on the term. Some terms will get you that and you'll need to refine your search better. Other terms won't.

Half of a megabyte of text.. That is alot of reading that I am going to absorb. Thanks catch.

Crap, I have to do an American History project tonight...
    -r.p.