Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MyWebSearch Toolbar Won't Go Away!!!

Angry MyWebSearch Toolbar Won't Go Away!!!

Here's the problem, my little brother downloaded this package that contained the MyWebSearch Toolbar, you know, the one that starts to redirect you to its search page when you're online. But now, I've uninstalled the program, used Adware and Spybot to get rid of any remaining files and the folder is still on the hard drive with the read only option permenantly checked on...

Help please!!!

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    OKay.. THose things can be a pain in the ass to get rid of. Here is what you need to do.

1) Use the Add/Remove software to try and remove it.

2) If you have win98se/ME or XP, goto Start---->Run and run "msconfig". Click the startup tab and uncheck any startup files for the toolbar. For win2k skip this step.

3) In the run dialogue box open regedit. Look in the following spots:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RunOnceEx

Look in here for the program that will call the toolbar to load.

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

Look for a folder named for the toolbar and delete it. You may also want to goto the edit menu, and use the find program to search out all the registry keys associated with the program.

Once all this is done, you should never see it again.

xmad

try deleting the folder and disable system restore

edit**********
    i forgot , delete the folder after you unistall the prog. sometimes when you uninstall a program the folder we it is installed is left behind .

Thanks for the help... I never look in regedit because im always afraid of messing something up

Just a tip:

if you whant to play around with the Registry always remember to make a back up copy of the registry and save it in the desktop and on a floppy.

OOOO.... more problems! The folder containing the program (I already uninstalled it) still has the read-only box checked, and it won't un-check...

but are you able to delete it ? ? ?

what os are u running?

EDIT------oppps youre running windows but what version

WinXP home, and the problem is that I cant delete it, of course, not for lack of trying...

Easy solution

Download and run this program

http://www.geocities.com/merijn_bell...hijackthis.zip

Then scan, highlight wat u want to get rid of (mywebtoolbar), and click fix - 1 mins work

Geocities isnt letting me view the page. Is there any way to fix this w/o this program?