Thread: Good router for home use?

Good router for home use?

Hey all, I was looking into buying a new router some time, probably something wireless. I don't want to spend very much money, something no more than $200 CAN would be nice! Um, right now I have an SMC Barricade 7004ABR and I don't like it much anymore. Besides, I want to hook up my new PS2 online but my parents don't like the idea of running Cat5 cable across the basement.

Basically, I would like a wireless router with a very good firewall and access control, and good logging features. My SMC doesn't log near enough for me to like. I just like to know whats goin through the network, thats all! I know Linksys is popular, but I was wondering if anyone here has some good choices? I currently run two computers (one with WinME and the other my trusty SuSE 8.2 Pro box). Its a high speed ADSL connection. Even something with filtering may be nice too, since my little sister is getting to the point where she may start to browse the net herself, I don't want her seeing some peoples version of 'freedom of expression.' But that is no big deal since I can get filtering software. I'm just concerned with security and logging mainly.

Thanks a bunch ahead of time!

Dave

Elite Hacker
    I use the D-Link DI-614+ wireless router. I like it. I've never really looked at the logs so I don't know how they are. I actually don't know where to find the logs. The only ones I've found tell me when computers lease an IP. But everything else about it seems to be what you want. It has the standard four normal ports on the back plus wireless access. It has mac address filtering and all that. I'm sure it has good logging features, I just haven't gotten around to find them. If I were you though, I would keep your old router around, as it can be turned into a switch to use more computers on. Here is a good link on this: http://www6.tomshardware.com/network...716/index.html
    I'm not saying D-Link is the best, but I'm saying that I like it and you should definetly consider it when buying one.
    Just my 2 ยข

The linksys line of SOHO routers is probably what you are looking for. It does SNMP logging so if you configure
    one of your workstations to trap the logs (configuration on the router for SNMP logging verbosity is in a secret spot, just look for it in google or do it through telnet). It also does keyword filtering. If you don't link linksys because of its bad name on PC NICs, go ahead with a Netgear. However, I feel that D-Link router/firewalls are not at all robust. One I had was really flaky whereas ive tried both netgear and linksys versions which provided 100% uptime.
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");
    SecureVision

Basically, I would like a wireless router with a very good firewall and access control, and good logging features.
    Even something with filtering may be nice too, since my little sister is getting to the point where she may start to browse the net herself, I don't want her seeing some peoples version of 'freedom of expression.' But that is no big deal since I can get filtering software. I'm just concerned with security and logging mainly.
    Theres Norton Internet Security. Its flexible and theres parental controls included - you just killed 2 birds with 1 rock

Edit -
    Theres a trial version fishing around somewhere.. Go check it out first and see if you like it.

I have been pretty happy with Dlink's, Air Plus Xtreme G 802.11g routers. They were very easy to setup, had a good firewall included, good range, good throughput, and very good price:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ption=DI%2D624
    75.50 with rebate.

Manufacturer page:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6

Its not exactly what I have, but it is very similar.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I don't own one, but the Linksys WRT54G actually has a tiny Linux distro that you can load on it. A simple google search should find the site for you if you're interested seeing as how I've lost the link (again...).

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories with Linksys, security wise. I dunno, I was looking a little at D-Link too. But I forgot all about netgear! Hmm, thanks for the tips, I will have to shop a while. (Probably won't buy for a while, I'm paying off my new guitar and just bought SuSE 9.0!!! lol)

Thanks again,

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.